Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 98 Taurus has no brake lights. Both signal lights work

Customer Question
My 98 Taurus has no...
My 98 Taurus has no brake lights. Both signal lights work fine and the third brake light in the rear window works but neither of the 2 side brake lights come on. Please advise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
10/5/2009
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

HelloCustomer

The brake lights signel on your 1998 come from the brake light switch and tee off and one signel goes to the 3rd brake light and the other signel goes thru the multi-function switch (turn signel). The common cause for the problem you are having is in most case caused by a bad multi-function switch and or in some cases the wires will come loose at the connector to it. I would start with removing the cover behind the steering wheel and have a look at the connector, if it checks ok suspect a bad switch.

I have enclosed switch replacement instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
I replaced the ulti function switch and the brake lights still do not work. What do I look for next?

HiCustomer

But the thrid brake light does work right?

yes the third light works.

HiCustomer

OK that means the switch is ok so lets start with checking the brake light circuit going into the multi-function switch . Let me send you the diagram.

Let see if we have brake light switch power going into the multi-function switch on the green/ red wire

graphic

I am unable to do any more work on the 98 Taurus until next week Tuesday. I will then begin checking for brake light power coming into the multi function switch.

Until then have a good rest of your week and thanks for your help

Len
I did not receive the brake light wire diagram as of yet has it been sent?
Yes look 2 posts up

Here is the signel out at the multi-function switch brake on.

You need 12 volts out on these 2 wire brake on.

graphic

Ron, ASE Certified Technician