Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

I have a 1996 Ford F150 and need to replace the PCM (ECU) but

I have a 1996 Ford F150 and need to replace the PCM (ECU) but don't know where the unit is located or the steps needed to take to remove and install. I have found a company that will sell me a remanufactured unit programed with the settings for my 5.8L V8 automatic trany (AUTOCOMPUTER EXCHANGE ACM). I would buy their unit and when received install it and send them my old unit and then a 1 yr. warranty would begin. My dealer has replaced the MAF and O2 sensores and determined that the PCM(ecu) is defective < faults cannot be cleared even though all MAF and O2 sensores are working properly.
{Please can you help?

Thanks

THIS IS LOCATED UNDER THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DASH NEAR THE PARKING BRAKE,

TO REMOVE IT YOU NEED TO ACCESS IT FROM UNDER THE HOOD . BELOW THE MASTER CYLINDER , UNBOLT THE WIRE HARNESS

THEN REMOVE THE 2 NUTS THAT SECURE THE PCM 1 AT THE TOP AND 1 AT THE BOTTOM

THEN IT SLIDES OUT FROM INSIDE UNDER THE DASH

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you advise on when removing and reinstalling any special procedures and cautions i.e. disconnecting battery. etc.

Thanks

YES ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY ,

BUT OTHER THAN THAT ITS PRETTY SIMPLE , JUST A LITTLE CRAMPED