Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

F-150: What are the intake manifold torque specs..plenum

Customer Question
What are the intake manifold...
What are the intake manifold torque specs on an 01 f-150 (upper and lower plenum)? What is the tightning sequence.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
9/26/2009
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager

This should help.

Removal and Installation
Notes

Removal

1. Remove the upper intake manifold.
  2. Partially drain the cooling system.

1. Disconnect the throttle position (TP) sensor.

1. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose.

1. Disconnect the vapor management valve (VMV) hose.

1. Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

1. Disconnect the heater water hoses at the intake manifold.

1. Remove the heater hose bracket at the intake manifold.

1. Disconnect the intake manifold vacuum connector.

1. Disconnect the EGR solenoid electrical and vacuum connectors.

1. Remove the eight bolts and the intake manifold spacer assembly.

Installation

1. Inspect the intake manifold spacer assembly mounting gaskets. Install new gaskets, if necessary.

1. Install the intake manifold spacer assembly. Tighten the bolts in two steps in the sequence shown.
    • Step 1-Tighten to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .
    • Step 2-Tighten to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Connect the EGR solenoid electrical and vacuum connectors.

1. Connect the intake manifold vacuum connector.

1. Install the heater hose bracket at the intake manifold.

1. Connect the heater water hoses at the intake manifold.

1. Connect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

1. Connect the vapor management valve (VMV) hose.

1. Connect the brake booster vacuum hose.

1. Connect the throttle position (TP) sensor.
  2. Fill the cooling system.
  3. Install the upper intake manifold
Lower
Notes

Removal

1. Remove the upper intake manifold.

1. NOTE: One shown, all are similar. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connectors.

1. NOTE: Left side shown, right side similar. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical harness from the fuel injector supply manifold.

1. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve vacuum hose.

1. Remove the EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube upper fitting.
  2. Remove the upper radiator hose from the lower intake manifold.

1. Disconnect the intake manifold runner control (IMRC) electrical connector and the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
  2. Disconnect the fuel lines.

1. Disconnect the water bypass hose and the heated positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system heater water hose.

1. NOTE: Remove the lower intake manifold including the fuel injection supply manifold, the fuel injectors and the IMRC. NOTE: If the lower intake manifold will be replaced, the fuel injection supply manifold, fuel injectors and the IMRC will need to be transferred. Remove the (A) long lower intake manifold bolts, the (B) short lower intake manifold bolts and remove the lower intake manifold.

1. Remove and discard the lower intake manifold sealing components

Installation

1. For additional information, refer to the illustration for intake manifold sealing component locations.

1. Install the lower intake manifold front and rear end seals.
  1. Apply a bead of silicone gasket and sealant to the intake manifold front and rear end seal mounting points as indicated.
  2. Install the lower intake manifold front and rear end seals.

1. Install the intake manifold gaskets.

1. NOTE: The lower intake manifold must be installed within four minutes of applying sealant. Position the lower intake manifold.
  1. Apply a bead of silicone gasket and sealant to the lower intake manifold mounting at the points indicated.
  2. Position the lower intake manifold.

1. NOTE: Make sure the bolts are installed in the correct location. Loosely install the (A) long bolts and the (B) short bolts.

1. Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown in two stages.
    • Stage 1: Tighten the bolts to 5 Nm (44 inch lbs.) .
    • Stage 2: Tighten the bolts to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.) .

1. Connect the water bypass hose and the heated PCV system heater water hose.
  2. Connect the fuel lines.

1. Connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line and the IMRC electrical connector.
  2. Install the upper radiator hose to the lower intake manifold.

1. Connect the EGR valve vacuum hose.

1. Install the EGR valve to exhaust manifold tube upper fitting.

1. NOTE: Left side shown, right side similar. Connect the fuel injector electrical harness to the fuel injector supply manifold.

1. NOTE: One shown, all are similar. Connect the fuel injector electrical connectors.
  2. Install the upper intake manifold
Upper
Notes

Removal

1. Remove the engine air cleaner outlet tube.

1. Disconnect the idle air control (IAC) valve electrical connector.

1. Remove the idle air control (IAC) valve assembly.

1. Remove the pushpin and the accelerator control splash shield.

1. Disconnect the accelerator cable end and, if equipped, the speed control actuator cable end.

1. Detach the accelerator cable and, if equipped, the speed control actuator cable.

1. Remove the crankcase ventilation hose. Disconnect the spark plug wire holders.

1. Remove the twelve bolts and the upper intake manifold.

Installation

1. Inspect the intake manifold upper gasket. Install a new gasket, if necessary.

1. Position the upper intake manifold and tighten the upper intake manifold bolts in the sequence shown in two stages.
    • Stage 1: Tighten the bolts to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .
    • Stage 2: Tighten the bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Connect the spark plug wire holders.

1. Install the accelerator cable and, if equipped, the speed control actuator cable.

1. Attach the accelerator cable end and, if equipped, the speed control actuator cable end.

1. Position the accelerator control splash shield and install a new pushpin.

1. Install the idle air control (IAC) valve assembly.

1. Connect the idle air control (IAC) valve electrical connector.
  2. Install the engine air cleaner outlet tube
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
EMRSR
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager