Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford f-150 fx4: the four wheel drive..driving down..road

Customer Question
i have a ford f-150...
i have a ford f-150 fx4 2005 the four wheel drive is trying to engadge when driving down the road any suggestions
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
9/24/2009
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Ford has a technical service bulletin for uncommanded hub engagement causing a grinding,ratcheting or buzzing type noise. If the vehicle has been having this problem for any length of time then the integrated wheel ends and hubs will need to be inspected for gear shear. I have attached the tsb below.

CLICK HERE

the tsb is not comming up. what should i tell the dealership. should this be covered under warranty

Did you click on the click here link? It is a pdf file. It involves replacing the iwe solenoid and clearing the vacuum lines. If you have an extended warranty such as a ford esp premium care it should be covered. It would be covered under the factory warranty for 3 years 36k miles only. Tell the dealer the tsb # XXXXX

FORD:2004-2006 F-150
LINCOLN:2006 Mark LT

ISSUE:

Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise inXXXXXfrom the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.

ACTION:

Use the following Service Procedure to check and repair the 4X4 system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Replace the IWE solenoid. Torque the new design bracket and solenoid to 62 lb-in (7 N-m). It will be necessary to remove the vacuum lines from each IWE down at the wheels to check for water being present.
    1. If no water is present at the vacuum line at the IWE, install the new solenoid with bracket. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
    2. If water is present allow it to drain from the vacuum lines. Then follow the updated procedure outlined in 2006 Workshop Manual (WSM) on-line version, Section 308-07A, Pin Point Tests B21 and B22. These tests checks IWE leak rates with vacuum and will remove any residual water from the IWE. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.
  2. If the IWE looses vacuum quicker than specification. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01B for normal diagnostic procedures.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
6L3Z-9E441-A IWE Solenoid

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
060815A2004-2006 F-150 4X4 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Replace The IWE Solenoid (Includes Time To Check For Water At The Wheels) (Do Not Use With 12650D)0.5 Hr.
MT060815Claim Additional Labor Required As Actual Time Or Use SLTS Operation If AvailableActual Time

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
9E44142

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
thanks for your help. i will let the dealership know
Your welcome
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech