lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and it has a loud humming sound

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and it has a loud humming sound next or under the air cleaner, it does it when its hot and very annoying. Please help. I didn't realize I forgot to leave feed back last time sorry. Thank you Connie

Hi Connie this is lostrider,

~Does the noise sound like a car wash vacuum cleaner?

~Can I get your 17 digit vin number to determine which 4.0 engine your truck has?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1FMDU34X7VUC86147

Thank you for the reply, there is a valve located on the upper intake called the Idle Air Control Valve, it controls the amount of air entering the engine to maintain proper idle, that valve will get carbon fouled and cause the noise your describing, I know you said the noise is around the air filter area but the valve will cause the noise to move through the air intake hose into the filter housing, when the noise is happening, you can take a small hammer and tap on the valve to change the pitch of the noise, here is a diagram of the valve so you can locate it on the engine, hope this helps.

graphic

Click Accept for the Answer and leave a Feedback, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I fix this. Thank you so much do I need a new value?Customer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Other
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer and it has a loud sound in the air filter system when it idles .I talk to lost rider and he said it maybe the IAC valve. Do i have to replace it.
Hi Connie this is lostrider, Yes you need to replace the IAC valve and this should take care of your concern, the valve is held on with 2 bolts and 1 electrical connector, remove and replace the valve, thats all there is to it.