John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2001 E-150: tune..triton 5.4 blowing plugs..replacing..plugs and coils

We have a 2001 E-150 that needs a tune-up. I have noticed there is a lot of talk about the triton 5.4 blowing plugs, and therefore am trying to determine if it is better to take it to the dealer verses replacing the plugs and coils myself. Also, an trying to figure out why the O/D light does not light at all. The vehicle has 82K miles.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

This is not as bad a problem as people make it out to be. When you do your tune up just make sure the plugs are tight. Thats it, you dont need a torque wrench, you just need to tighten them up. Also, you dont need to replace all the coils, just the rubber boots. This is like replacing the plug wires. The od light not working is usually caused by a bad wire between the shifter handle and the steering column. Unfortunately you can't repair the wire. To repair you will need to replace the whole shifter assembly.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If we have the tune-up done at the dealer, what would the cost typically be. It is not easy to reach around the engine being in a van. How long would it take a professional mechanic to typically do the work?

Plugs, coil boots and labor will cost around $400 to $450 depending on area. Usually a good tech can get this done in 2 to 3 hours.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert