Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

How do I replace the Power Steering Pump Pulley on a 2000 Mustang

How do I replace the Power Steering Pump Pulley on a 2000 Mustang V6?
Is this the 3.8l engine or the 4.0l?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
3.8l

I am going to try and get this wrapped up for you quick.

Is the pump currently on the car or off the car?

reason I ask is off the car will be much easier, however you can use a large blade screwdriver and wedge it in through the pulley to the side of the pump, be carefull not to crack the res. tank. Next a impact gun will be your best friend to use to remove the pulley if you have one, if not use a 1/2" ratchet instead of 3/8" will help as well.

If you need any further assistance just let me know and I will be glad to assist you.

Thanks,

Joe

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, I am sending you the proper way to remove the pulley from the power steering pump as long as you have the proper puller which can be purchased at any local auto part store. hope this helps you out.

graphic

customer already stated they have a pulley puller. I listed the correct way.

Yes the pulley requires a wrench and a socket but sometimes it is still needed to stop the pulley from moving the way I stated, I have even put vise grips on the old pulley before. The pulley remover tool should also come with the install tool as well.

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 9/15/2009 at 7:29 PM EST
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,