Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master
6458937

1998 ford escort: water pump housing..leaking

Customer Question

How to remove water pump housing on 1998 ford escort. Water appears to be leaking from there.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 8 years ago.

HeyCustomer

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

I have attached the information for you to see how the timing cover comes off. If you have any questions let me know! CLICK HERE

Click here for water pump removal

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The instructions you gave me is to remove the water pump itself. I need to know how to replace the housing the water pump attaches to. Water is leaking from there and it doesn't appear to be comming from the hoses or pump.
Expert:  Brad B replied 8 years ago.
If you see coolant leaking from behind the water pump then it could be the gasket that is leaking. The housing the pump attaches to is the block. If the leak is not coming from behind the pump then you could have a cracked block, cracked head, or a head gasket failure.
Expert:  Brad B replied 8 years ago.
Just checking in to see if you need assistance on determining the source of the leak or not?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Right now the leak is not constant. I filled it back up the other day and started it and it did not leak a single drop from anywhere. But just the day before it blew all the water out while I was driving home and I almost siezed up the engine it was so hot. So I am stumped as to why and where it is leaking especially when its not constant. Its driving me crazy.
Expert:  Brad B replied 8 years ago.
If the water pump itself has failed it may be leaking out of the weep hole under pressure.