Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1993 F150: Tranny (Auto)..shifting hard..speedometer stopped..odometer

Customer Question
1993 F150 5.0, Tranny (Auto)...
1993 F150 5.0, Tranny (Auto) started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, speedometer stopped working as well as the odometer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2009
Ford Mechanic: Brad B, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician

HeyCustomer

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

If the speedometer has stopped working this will cause a shift issue as the vehicle does not know what speed it is at to properly shift at the set points. The speedometer also controls the odometer. Your vehicle may have an issue with the speed sensor itself, I have seen many times with the older Ford trucks have had a broken speedometer cable or the gear at the speedometer sensor has been rounded out and causes a no speedometer issue. If the gear itself is rounded out you could have an issue what is known as 'apple core' where the gear inside the transmission will be rounded out also and causes the issue you are experiencing. You will see the speedometer cable at the rear of the transmission, the easiest way to test the cable and the instrument cluster is by removing the cable from the sensor (which you will see a metal clip around the top of the sensor / the bottom of the cable, pull the clip and the cable out, then take a electric drill and spin and see if the instrument cluster shows your speedo working, if it does then you will need to pull the sensor and check the gear and if not overly worn then you will be safe to replace the sensor, when spinning you can also do this with your fingers, you will not be able to test as high of speeds but will get an idea.)

it is a 4x4 so is the cable still at the rear of the tranny? I do not see any cable going from the tranny through the floorboard/firewall other than the shift cable, is it possible it is electric?

The 4x4 should be at the rear of the transfer case. The component location shows it being on the tranmission itself, but if I remember correctly it will be on the rear of the t-case (around the output shaft area) the output shaft is the last part of the housing before the driveline. Click this link to see what the sensor looks like; http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Vehicle+Speed+S ensor&itemId=430-0&navValue=15900430&parentId=59-0&productId=68815&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=68815_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=speedsensor&categoryNValue=15999999&isSearchByPartNumber=false&categoryDisplayName=EngineManagement&store=3731&skuDescription=Duralast/VehicleSpeedSensor&fromWhere=&searchText=speedsensor&_requestid=1525439

The sensor will have a cable and also a wire connector to it. This vehicle should have a cable for the speedometer. If you have any issues let me know!

Just checked a little more.....the Power Source Socket, Internal Light, Cig Lighter doesn't work either and I saw somewhere on the internet that it might be a short somewhere....Is that possible?

Check fuse # XXXXX (15 amp) this is for the cigar lighter

#18 (10 amp) also controls the speedometer (may have a blown fuse, not as common as the issue stated above, but may be an issue)

# XXXXX (15 amp) controls interior lights, warning chime, and a few other options)

CLICK HERE FOR DIAGRAM this fuse box is the interior fuse box...... The issues could be from other problems such as a bad ground, bad power wire, bad door ajar switch which would not allow the interior light to come on with the doors open, a bad interior light, bad cigar lighter socket, a short would cause the fuse to blow instantly.

You will most likely find you have several issues for what you are experiencing. Check the cable as stated earlier, and also the fuses.

Heres some other things to consider for trans. shifting issues (although keep in mind the inoperative speedometer will cause a harsh shift.)

If the transmission is not shifting correctly it could be from a few possibilities, some are cheap some are not. If the fluid is low this would cause the transmission to have a delayed and harsh shift when it does engage, you need to check the level when the vehicle is running and in park. Also make sure it is on level ground to get an accurate reading.

If the fluid is black this indicates the fluid is very worn out and having the system flushed may help with this, although if the fluid is extremely bad having it flushed will make it worse as the transmission will most likely go completely out. If the fluid has a burnt clutch smell to it this indicates the clutch packs are burnt and a rebuild will be needed.

If the fluid is fairly dirty and you have at least 70,000 miles on the transmission you could be due for a transmission service and filter replacement. If the filter is plugged this would cause a shifting issue, as the transmission is not able to shift at the correct points due to a lack of pressure (or in some cases too much, which would cause a harsh shift also.)

If the overdrive light is on or flashing this could be an electrical issue and you will need to have the codes scanned to determine the issue, which if you are not mechanically inclined you will need a shop to diagnose it at this point. A light could also mean you have internal failures but will not know until the code is read.

If you drop the pan and find metal shavings this would also show you have internal failures and will need to have the transmission rebuilt.

If the check engine light is on you could have an issue with a MAF sensor or related sensor that could be affecting the shifting of your car.

If the transmission is slipping through the gears having the system flushed somethimes helps but in most cases indicates an internal failure with the clutches.

Brad,
I am mechanically inclined, have been working vehicles since a kid (am in 50's now!! and rebuilding a 66 GTO!!) Just never saw these symptoms in the past.Fluid good, not dirty, no burnt smell,overdrive light not flashing, no check engine light on. Will check the fuses in the am(on east coast and almost 10pm).

Check the fuses

Also check out the cable, I would suspect your issue is either a cable issue or the speedometer itself whether it gear the gear or the sensor. it is very common to have the speedometer gear issue and the apple core problem is also another common issue, which if you find the gear to be apple cored then you will need to pull apart the t-case to repair this as the gear in the t-case will eventually take out the speedometer sensor gear.

If you have any issues or questions let me know! I will be online for most of tonight although tomorrow if you need help before (8 pm your time) go ahead and hit the opt me out button and another tech will be able to assist you.

Thanks once again for choosing Just Answer!

Thanks Brad,
Will check cable and fuses in the AM. I am leaning towards the electrical problem because of the problems other than the speedometer.
Bought this truck last October for our 16 year old son....just getting his liscense. Sweet looking truck...6"inch lft, 36 " tires, engine rebuilt 38000 miles ago, body in pretty good condition, NO rust anyehere.
Talk to you tomorrow night.
Don

I just had this issue with a 92' F-150 w/ a 4" lift that had a broken speedometer sensor. Hopefully it is something cheap and easy such as a fuse.

Being the age of the truck it would not be uncommon to just have a blown fuse for the cigar / power source socket.

The dome light issue could be a bad bulb, door ajar issue (although you will still be able to turn the light on manually), or a wiring issue.

Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Brad B
Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician