Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

WHERE ARE TIMING MARKS SET ON 1999 FORD CONTOUR 2.0 OHC EN

Customer Question
GINE...
WHERE ARE TIMING MARKS SET ON 1999 FORD CONTOUR 2.0 OHC EN GINE
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
9/9/2009
Ford Mechanic: EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager replied 8 years ago
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager

This should help.

Installation
Notes
NOTE:Ford does not provide camshaft gear timing marks, or information to perform timing belt service without the special tools shown in this procedure.

NOTE: For additional information refer to TSB# XXXXX

Installation

All Vehicles

1. NOTE: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder No. 1.

1. NOTE: Cylinders No. 1 and No. 4 are at TDC when the Woodruff key points straight up. Remove the blanking plug, completely screw in the special tool and auto-align the crankshaft to TDC.

1. Position cylinder No. 4 to ``valves overlap" and install the special tool.
  1. Hold the camshafts by the hexagon using an open-ended wrench and turn them in the direction of engine rotation.
  2. Slide the special tool onto the ends of both camshafts.

1. CAUTION: Do not kink the timing belt (do not bend the timing belt less than a diameter of 35 mm). CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft; as necessary check that it is still resting against the timing pin. NOTE: Design with lower idler pulley shown (built up to 06/1999). NOTE: The lug of the belt tensioner should not be hooked in the sheet metal cover during timing belt installation. Position a new timing belt in place.
    • Starting from the crankshaft timing belt pulley and working counterclockwise, position the timing belt in place while keeping it under tension.

1. CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft; as necessary check that it is still resting against the timing pin. NOTE: Design without lower idler pulley shown (built 06/1999 onwards). NOTE: The lug of the belt tensioner should not be hooked in the sheet metal cover during timing belt installation. Position a new timing belt in place.

1. NOTE: Incorrect timing belt tension will cause incorrect valve timing. Pre tension the timing belt.
  1. Rotate the tensioner locating tab counterclockwise and insert the locating tab into the slot in the rear timing cover.
  2. Position the hex key slot in the tensioner adjusting washer to the 4 o'clock position.
  3. Tighten the attaching bold enough to seat the tensioner firmly against the rear timing cover, but still allow the tensioner adjusting washer to be rotated using a 6mm hex key.

1. CAUTION: Tension the timing belt, working counterclockwise. Using the hex key, rotate the adjusting washer counterclockwise until the notch in the pointer is centered over the index line on the locating tab (the pointer will move clockwise during adjustment).

1. While holding the adjusting washer in position, tighten the bolt.

1. NOTE: Hold the intake timing belt pulley with special tool to stop it from turning. Tighten the timing belt pulleys.
  1. Tighten the intake camshaft timing belt pulley bolt.
  2. NOTE: Hold the exhaust camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning. Tighten the exhaust camshaft timing belt pulley bolt.

1. Remove the special tool.
    • Install the blanking plug.

1. Remove the special tool.

1. NOTE: Hold the camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning. Tighten the exhaust camshaft to stage 2.
  2. NOTE: Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in the normal direction of rotation. Check the valve timing by inserting the special tool. Correct it, if necessary.
    • Screw in special tool 303-574 and make sure that the crankshaft is touching it.
    • Insert special tool 303-465 into the camshafts; if necessary loosen the timing pulleys and correct the camshaft alignment.
    • Detach the special tools.

1. NOTE: Use a new blanking plug. Install the blanking plug on the exhaust camshaft pulley.

1. NOTE: Valve cover tightening sequence: From the inside outwards, working diagonally. Install the valve cover and spark plugs.
  1. Install the spark plugs.
  2. Install the valve cover.

1. Install the HT wires and crankcase ventilation hose.
  1. Connect the crankcase ventilation hose.
  2. Connect the HT wires to the spark plugs.

1. Install the appearance cover.
  1. Install the eight bolts.
  2. Connect the solenoid valve electrical connector and press in the rubber seal.
  1. Clip the throttle cable and the speed control cable to the appearance cover.

1. NOTE: Set the upper part of the engine front cover together with the center part in place. Install the center part of the engine front cover.

1. NOTE: Check the seating of the upper part of the engine front cover gasket and correct as necessary. Secure the upper part of the engine front cover.

1. Install the power steering pipe bracket to the engine lift eye.

1. NOTE: One bolt also holds the power steering line bracket. Install the front support insulator.
  2. Remove the floor jack.

1. Install the coolant expansion tank.
    • Attach the speed control cable (if equipped) to the coolant expansion tank.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.

Vehicles with automatic transaxle

1. NOTE: Verify that the center bolt is centered in the support insulator. Tighten the center bolt of the right-hand engine support insulator.

Vehicles with manual transaxle

All Vehicles

1. NOTE: Verify that the center bolt is centered in the support insulator. Tighten the center bolt of the left-hand engine support insulator.

1. Install the lower part of the engine front cover.

1. NOTE: Use the access hole in the bottom of transaxle case to stop engine rotating. Install the crankshaft pulley/vibration damper.

1. NOTE: Note the accessory drive belt direction mark if belt is to be reused. Install the accessory drive belt.
  1. Install the belt idler pulley.
  2. Install the water pump pulley.
  3. Tension the belt tensioner clockwise and position the accessory drive belt in place.
  4. Tighten the water pump pulley bolts.

1. Install the right-hand front lower splash shield.
    • Install the right-hand front wheel.

1. Install the engine undershield (if equipped).
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. Install the right-hand front wheel.
  2. NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 Km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy. Connect the battery ground cable.
  3. Check the fluid levels and correct as necessary.
  4. Check the routing of the vacuum hoses and wiring and secure them with cable ties
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager

THE INFO WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED THANKS MUCH! I WILL USE YOU AGAIN IN THE FUTURE AND HAVE TOLD A FEW OF MY FREINDS ABOUT YOU

R.J.McROBERTS

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMRSR
EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager