Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician
157173

2003 Ford Explorer: heater..clicking noise started from under the dash

2003 Ford Explorer heater makes a clicking noise when I adjust the temperature from cold to hot.

On a cold morning last week, I turned the temperature switch from cold to hot. A clicking noise started from under the dash. It continued until I turned the switch all the way to the cold setting. After a few moments it stopped. I tried turning the knob to the hot setting several times and it still makes a clicking noise. The fan works fine, and I get cold air, but no warm air. Sounds like a valve is stuck. What is the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Hello!
   You most likely have a bad blend door actuator; this is a common failure.
   The doors in the heater case are moved by small electric servo motors located on the outside of the case.   The one youa re looking for is the blend door actuator; I do not have access to my information service here at home in the evening, but if I recall correctly the blend door actuator on your model is located on the lower center of the heater case. If you follow the noise you will come to the actuator; it is a small rectangular plastic component that measures about 2 x 3 inches.    The part that fails are the small plastic drive gears inside the actuator; but the actuator is serviced as a complete replacement component only.   Simply remove the 3 screws and the electrical connector, and you can remove it from the case.