chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

I have a 1999 ford F150 four door. the two rear doors will

I have a 1999 ford F150 four door. the two rear doors will not open. are there some type of child safety lock on the rear doors. They have not been open and closed more than 200 times since I purchase the truck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

Need some info

1.) This is a crew cab ,, with four full doors ,,correct ?

2. ) do I have this right ,,,you can not open the rear doors from the outside or from the inside ??

3. ) does the lock rod go up and down for the rear doors, or it stuck in the lock position ???

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the four door with the two rear doors that do not open from the outside, only the inside after you open the front doors. they will not open from front after the front door is open , nor will they open from the inside latch.
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

ok ---thanks for clearing that up ,,,, you have a extra cab F150 ,,, or also called a super cab F150 ,,, the rear doors are half doors ...

we have to remove the door panel ,,, to check to see if the inside door handle is broken

to do this we start from the top of the door and work our way to the bottom ,, start by removing the glass latch two screws from the door

graphic

then the upper door panel around the glass will pull off, you may want to use a big flat screw driver to get behind the panel and help pry it off

graphic

after the upper panel is off, then you can access the screws on the lower door panel and remove them

graphic

then lift UP on the door panel and it will slide off

now you can remove the two nuts that hold the inside door handle in place and there should be two cables that mount to the handle,, see if the handle is broken or the cable is broken

tell me what you find

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Every thing is in place except for a cable that run down to the bottom of the door, it is not connected to anything. I cannot see where it is suppose to connect too.
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

inside the door there is a unit called the remote control assembly, this is ware all the cables and rods secure to ,,,,, the inside door handle has a cable that runs to this ,, make sure that when you move the inside door handle that you see the remote control move ,,,, then there is a cable that runs to the lower latch and the upper latch ,, they secure to the remote control ,, make sure they move when you move the inside door handle ,,,,,,and then there is a rod or cable from the saftey latch on the leading edge of the door ,,, move the saftey latch in and out and make sure you see it move on the remote control

graphic

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All the cables and rods connected to the remote control are working, at the remote control . the cable from the remote control that goes to the bottom of the door is connected at the remote control but it is not connected to anything at the bottom of the door. when you move the inside door latch you can feel the end of the cable in the bottom of the door moving, it is just not connected to anything inside the bottom of the door.
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

so it looks like the bottom door latch is the problem ,,,

when you pull on the inside door handle can you tell if the top latch is releasing ,,??? pull on the handle and then pull on the top of the door to see if its loose ,,,,,,,this will confirm that the bottom latch is not unlatching ,,,,,

if the problem is that the cable fell off the bottom latch or that the bottom door latch is bad ,,,,, then lets try to unlatch it manually ,,,

this is how the cable is mounted to the lower latch -see pic below

graphic

to tell you the truth ,, I have been working at Ford dealer for over 21 years and never seen this cable or latch go bad on this unit ,,,,,, so what you have to do next is kind of on your own ,,,,, you have to use a flash light and a 90 deg pick and reach down at the bottom of the door at the lower door latch and see if you can hook on to ware that ball of the cable goes onto the latch and pull up on it to unlatch the lower latch ---- then once you get the door open you can replace the latch or the cable ,witch ever is broken

Chris