How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bamaman39 Your Own Question
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 2288
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Bamaman39 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I add transmission fluid for a 2009 Explorer Sport Trac?

Resolved Question:

How can I add transmission fluid for a 2009 Explorer Sport Trac?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.


You cannot add transmission fluid from the top because there is no dipstick.You will have to remove the transmission pan or if you had the special tool you would have to pour fluid in a tank and put it in by air pressure.If you remove the pan and refill make sure you put fluid to the top of the valve in the pan.This is the full mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

So I can remove the transmission pan and refill it with fluid and reattach the pan.

The problem is that I was going to change the oil and my advice on the correct plug was for the transmission plug, I dropped the plug and was unable to stop most of the fluid from leaking. The fluid was saved in a clean bucket, should I be able to return this fluid into the pan without issue.

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Yes you can.This is kinda a pain job.You might need someone to help you start the pan bolts while you hold the pan on the transmission.Its kind of awkward with the fluid in it.Remember the plug you took out is a two part plug.The small is to fill up and the big is to drain.Also the big plug is the indicator valve.Only fill the fluid to the top of that valve.


Good luck

Bamaman39 and 5 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you