Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

HEATER FAN AC CONTROLS NOT WORKING ON 99 FORD CONTOUR RELAY

Customer Question
HEATER FAN AC CONTROLS...
HEATER FAN AC CONTROLS NOT WORKING ON 99 FORD CONTOUR RELAY AND WHERE IS THE PROBLEM.   TRUNK DOES NOT STAY UP     HOW DOES ONE CHANGE SPRINGS.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
8/23/2009
Ford Mechanic: Brian, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, Auto Service Technician
Check fuses 23 and 37 in the fuse box under the dash, they feeds the switch and blower fan relay (also mounted in same fuse box).

The relay is labeled K14 in the diagram of the fuse box below:graphic
The relay could be bad, one way to see if the relay is bad is to swap another relay into its place and see if it helps.

Also, there is a resistor block that allows the blower to be operated at low and medium speeds. If the resistor fails, only high fan speed will still work.

Using a test light may be necessary to check whether power and ground are available at the blower motor connector. If power and ground check good at the blower, then the blower motor is probably bad.

To solve the trunk problem, the lift struts will need to be replaced.

Removal and installation of the trunk lift struts can be difficult, but here are a few tips to ease the process.

There are 2 types of struts. One for cars with spoiler wing on the trunk, and one for cars without the spoiler. The spoiler struts have a little more lifting strength to cope with the weight of the spoiler. Go with the spoiler struts if you haven't bought them already. If you go with OEM Ford, they are actually cheaper for the stronger strut.

To change them, you have to pop the clips off with a flathead screwdriver. Once the clips are off, the strut with slide right off. If you feel any resistance at all, then the clip is still locked on.

Don't pry away at them. You can damage the ball that they lock onto and then have problems when you go to put the new one in.

First, make sure the trunk is well supported in the open position, otherwise it will close on you as soon as you take the first strut off and you'll be trapped in the trunk. Not good.

To remove the old struts, use a long-shanked, slot-tipped screwdriver to pry the spring clips up enough to remove them from the metal balls at each end. This can be difficult to do from inside the trunk, but it is possible. The easier way is to remove the rear seat side bolsters and the trim on the edge of the parcel shelf, exposing a hole that is designed to make reaching the inner end of the strut very simple. Insert the screwdriver under the clip and pry up until the strut comes off the ball. The outer end is easy to reach and much simpler.

Pry the new clips up to where they clamp onto the end part that fits over the ball. Do this before you try to put them on. Then, when the struts are in place, push the clips back down, and they will snap when they are seated.

Brian
Brian
Brian, Auto Service Technician