Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

front rotors, calipers and pads replaced on my truck..shake..brakes…

Customer Question
I recently had the front...
I recently had the front rotors, calipers and pads replaced on my truck. The problem not is the pads are wearing grooves into the new rotors which now id casuing the truck to shake when I apply the brakes. What's the problem?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Ford
8/21/2009
Ford Mechanic: Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech replied 12 years ago
Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech

HelloCustomer

I can assist you with that question.

The only way NEW pads can cause grooves in NEW rotors is that the pads material is either of poor, inconsistent quality, or they weren't burnished in properly.

The less expensive pads available are less expensive for a reason, the most obvious is the type of material used.Consistency and noise are also problems with inferior pads.

Rotors themselves, once again, can groove prematurely if they are made from poor quality metal, and warping is unusually due to the metal not having sufficient nickel content, which the more expensive rotors have in their composition. The amount of nickel dictates how rapidly the rotors can dissipate heat, which in turn doesn't allow the rotors to warp.

You didn't mention whether these were front or rear brakes, but from your post I suspect that they're the front ones. So the other thing to do is make sure that the rear brakes are doing their job, the front brakes should only be doing about 60% of the braking.

Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech