Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor
21409023

How do I replace the fuel filter on my 2005 Freestyle?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Here is the procedure for replacing the fuel filter. You will need a special fuel line disconnect tool that can be purchased at most any parts store. Hope this helps.
Best of luck
AL

FUEL FILTER

Exploded View

Removal and Installation

WARNING:

• Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or an open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.
  • Do not carry personal electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers or audio equipment of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
  • Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.
  • This procedure involves fuel handling. Be prepared for spillage at all times and always observe fuel handling precautions. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury.
  1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
  2. Release the fuel system pressure.
  3. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  4. Disconnect the fuel supply tube quick connect coupling at the fuel filter inlet.
  5. Disconnect the fuel supply tube quick connect coupling at the fuel filter outlet.
  6. Loosen the fuel filter retaining clamp.
    • To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in) .
  1. Remove the fuel filter.
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.