Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Where is a fuel temperature sensor located on a 2000 Taurus

Customer Question
and what does it look...
Where is a fuel temperature sensor located on a 2000 Taurus and what does it look like?

Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
8/10/2009
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Your 2000 Taurus dosnt have a fuel temp sensor. The only Ford that uses this sensor is the 4.6 Crown vic that run on Propane. (NGV)

graphic

What else would cause me to get a 0181 code? I get codes 0181,7E5 and 58A and every thing I read says it is a faulty fuel temp sensor. Your answer does make sense in that I can not find a parts listing for one on a Taurus.

Thanks

The 0181 is a fuel temp sensor code but the 7E5 and the 58A are not valid codes. Do you have a programmer installed? Clear the codes and rerun them and see if you have the right codes.
I just read the codes with a Creader code reader. Those are the only 3 codes that are coming up. And the 0181 is the only one that i can find anywhere.
Thats because the others are not valid Ford codes. Im am currently researching the P0181 on you 2000. Give me a minute and I will have more info.
Can you recheck the code and make sure its a P0181

HiCustomer

Ok If you have a 2000 3.0 Flex engine then the code is set due to an issue with your Flex fuel Sensor which does monitor fuel temputure.

graphicgraphic

I just verified the code. It is not a flex fuel. It is the standard V-6 not the DOHC.

It is running fine. I would not be worried about it except that it will not pass emissions with the engine light on. And they will not pas it if you just cleared the code.

Well I can send you the pinpoint for the code 0181 but you do not have a fuel temp sensor on the standard DOHC. The P0181 on the DOHC means you need to complete the Drive cycle test.

graphic

DRIVE CYCLE HERE

It is not the DOHC. It is the standard V-6 but I assume the code means the same.

What is the drive cycle test?

Ok this test is the test for the vin code U as well.

If its not a flex and its not a NGV then it has this system.

The electronic engine controls consist of the following:

• power control module (PCM)
  • throttle position (TP) sensor
  • idle air control (IAC) valve
  • engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
  • camshaft position (CMP) sensor
  • crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
  • mass air flow (MAF) sensor
  • intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
  • heated oxygen sensor (HO2S)
  • catalyst monitor sensor
  • knock sensor (KS) (4V)
  • output shaft speed (OSS) sensor
  • power steering pressure (PSP) switch (4V)

The PCM:

• accepts input from various engine sensors to compute the required fuel flow rate necessary to maintain a prescribed air/fuel ratio throughout the entire engine operational range.
  • outputs a command to the fuel injectors to meter the appropriate quantity of fuel.
  • determines and compensates for the age of the vehicle and its uniqueness, also automatically senses and compensates in altitude (i.e. from sea level to above sea level).

The TP sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating the throttle plate angle.
  • is the main input to the PCM from the driver.

The IAC valve:

• is used to control engine idle speed.
  • is controlled by the PCM.

The ECT sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating engine temperature.
  • resistance decreases as coolant temperature increases.

The CMP sensor:

• provides camshaft position information which is used by the PCM for fuel synchronization.

The CKP sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating crankshaft position.
  • is essential for calculating spark timing.

The KS 3.0L (4V):

• is used to detect engine detonation (spark knock).
  • sends a voltage signal to the PCM which retards the ignition timing, as necessary.

The MAF sensor:

• uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine.
  • sends a signal to the PCM to determine the intake air mass. The PCM will then calculate the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio.

The catalyst monitor sensor:

• has the ability to create a voltage signal dependent on exhaust oxygen content.
  • provides feedback information to the PCM used to calculate fuel delivery.

The HO2S:

• monitors oxygen content after it flows through the catalytic converter.
  • provides a voltage to the PCM used to calculate catalytic converter integrity.

The PSP switch:

• is a normally closed switch that opens as pressure increases.
  • is used to send a signal to the PCM to adjust idle speed. This compensates for the additional load on the engine. For additional information, refer to Section 211-02.

The OSS:

• is able to provide a signal which tells the PCM the vehicle speed. For additional information, refer to Section 307-01A (4X4S) or Section 307-01B (4F50N).

Thanks for the info. I geuss I have some things to check. Would you have a geuss as where to start based on the fact that it is running fine.

If its running fine, I would clear the code and perform the drive cycle and see if it returns.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for the help.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician