Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

changing rear brakes on 97 f350

Customer Question
changing rear brakes on 97 f350
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2009
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Disc or Drum brakes?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

I have a 97 F350 dual rear tires and I can not get the rear drum off

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, here is some info that should be helpful.

Removal

1. Raise the vehicle so the tire and wheel (1007) are clear of the floor and install safety stands under the axle.

2. Remove the hub cap (if so equipped), tire and wheel.

3. Remove the spring retaining nuts and discard. Remove the brake drum.

1. If the brake drum is rusted to the axle shaft pilot diameter, use coarse sandpaper to remove the rust buildup, then remove the brake drum.

If the brake drum will not come off, perform the following:

1. Insert a narrow screwdriver through the brake adjusting hole in the brake backing plate (2211), and disengage the brake shoe adjusting lever (2A176) from the brake adjuster screw (2041).
      1. While holding the brake shoe adjusting lever away from the brake adjuster screw, loosen the brake adjuster screw with the Brake Adjustment Tool D81L-1103-C or equivalent.
    2. Loosen the brake adjuster screw only if the brake drum cannot be removed.
      1. If the brake adjuster screw was loosened, check to be sure the brake shoe adjusting lever is still properly seated in the shoe web.

graphic

Check the surface of the brake drum. If worn, or if brake drum is suspected of having excessive runout, the brake drum should be machined. After machining, check maximum diameter of the brake drum. Brake drum must be replaced if diameter is outside maximum limit. Maximum drum diameter is stamped on the outside of the brake drum.

Adjusting screw seems to be losened all the way. Should it be turned Clockwise or counter clockwise? All the little tabs on it seemed to be stripped. Cant get a flat head on it

Hi sirgilbert,

Counterclockwise,also try prying on opposite sides little by little oneach side of the drum between the drum and the backing plate,and slowly work the drum off a little at a time, careful not to damage the drum when doing so.

it wont move counter clockwise as the tabs are stripped. been trying side by side but shes pretty rust and not budging

HiCustomer

Then you will have to soak everything down with penetrating oil and while prying the back side of the drum have an assistant try and rotate the drum as well as hitting the drum with a hammer to try and persuade the drum off. Once removed clean very well with brake clean to remove oily residue from penetrating oil.

Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Shawn
Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician