Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 ford contour: a timing belt..timing marks..crankshaft..camshaft

Customer Question
i just installed a timing...
i just installed a timing belt on a 2000 ford contour-2.0 vct, all timing marks align as they should as i rotate the crankshaft by hand the motor makes a poping sound, just before it pops the camshaft hesitates then jumps forward as it makes the pop.is this sound normal for the varible timing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
7/30/2009
Ford Mechanic: Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech. replied 8 years ago
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The variable cam timing is a little tricky to set up compared to regular timing belts.Here are some instructions on setting them up.A quick way to determine if the cams are off is to remove the valve cover,put the engine on top dead center and look to the rear of the cams to see if the slot is lined up.Meaning that you can put a straight edge accross the slots and the are in line.

graphic

2000 Contour/Mystique Workshop Manual

Installation

All Vehicles

1. NOTE: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise.

Rotate the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder No. 1.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Cylinders No. 1 and No. 4 are at TDC when the Woodruff key points straight up.

Remove the blanking plug, completely screw in the special tool and auto-align the crankshaft to TDC.
graphic
  1. Position cylinder No. 4 to ``valves overlap" and install the special tool.
    1. Hold the camshafts by the hexagon using an open-ended wrench and turn them in the direction of engine rotation.
    1. Slide the special tool onto the ends of both camshafts.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: Do not kink the timing belt (do not bend the timing belt less than a diameter of 35 mm).

CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft; as necessary check that it is still resting against the timing pin.

NOTE: Design with lower idler pulley shown (built up to 06/1999).

NOTE: The lug of the belt tensioner should not be hooked in the sheet metal cover during timing belt installation.

Position a new timing belt in place.
    • Starting from the crankshaft timing belt pulley and working counterclockwise, position the timing belt in place while keeping it under tension.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft; as necessary check that it is still resting against the timing pin.

NOTE: Design without lower idler pulley shown (built 06/1999 onwards).

Position a new timing belt in place.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Incorrect timing belt tension will cause incorrect valve timing.

Pre tension the timing belt.
    1. Rotate the tensioner locating tab counterclockwise and insert the locating tab into the slot in the rear timing cover.
    1. Position the hex key slot in the tensioner adjusting washer to the 4 o'clock position.
    1. Tighten the attaching bold enough to seat the tensioner firmly against the rear timing cover, but still allow the tensioner adjusting washer to be rotated using a 6mm hex key.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: Tension the timing belt, working counterclockwise.

Using the hex key, rotate the adjusting washer counterclockwise until the notch in the pointer is centered over the index line on the locating tab (the pointer will move clockwise during adjustment).
graphic
  1. While holding the adjusting washer in position, tighten the bolt.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Hold the intake timing belt pulley with special tool to stop it from turning.

Tighten the timing belt pulleys.
    1. Tighten the intake camshaft timing belt pulley bolt.
    1. NOTE: Hold the exhaust camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning.

Tighten the exhaust camshaft timing belt pulley bolt.
graphic
  1. Remove the special tool.
    • Install the blanking plug.
graphic
  1. Remove the special tool.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Hold the camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning.

Tighten the exhaust camshaft to stage 2.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in the normal direction of rotation.

Check the valve timing by inserting the special tool. Correct it, if necessary.
    • Screw in special tool 303-574 and make sure that the crankshaft is touching it.
    • Insert special tool 303-465 into the camshafts; if necessary loosen the timing pulleys and correct the camshaft alignment.
    • Detach the special tools.
  1. NOTE: Use a new blanking plug.

Install the blanking plug on the exhaust camshaft pulley.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Valve cover tightening sequence: From the inside outwards, working diagonally.

Install the valve cover and spark plugs.
    1. Install the spark plugs.
    1. Install the valve cover.

Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
I alreay have this information provided by Alldata. I want to know if the popping noise is normal after the timing belt has been installed.
Sorry, the timing is likely off causing the popping .It is not normal for the variable cam to cause any unusual noise.
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.