Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

why would my ford taurus have white smoke coming from under

hood and leaking antifreeze?...
why would my ford taurus have white smoke coming from under hood and leaking antifreeze?
7/18/2009
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have some questions, please reply in this thread.
1) What is the year of your Taurus? Could you also specify the engine size?
2) Does this problem occur immediately after starting the car?
3) Has anything been checked? Thanks

Hi Vladimir,

My taurus is a 2006. It is a V6 engine. We just purchased the car and drove it home about 45 miles. As soon as we pulled into the driveway it began smoking and leaking a fluid. I am considering returning the car.

Thanks.
It sounds that your car is overheating.
When the engine coolant boils, it spills out and you can observe a white steam.
If the coolant contacts a hot engine part ( exhaust), a white smoke is created.
You should not continue driving if the engine overheats or you can damage it.
The problem could be something simple as a thermostat or a faulty cooling fan.
Have you cooling system checked .
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
How do you know if iy is overheating? Wont the hood of the car be hot? And there was loads of what smelled like antifreeze leaking onto the ground.
I suppose you have a gauge on the instrument panel cluster that should show the engine temperature.
If your engine overheats, you can hear a "boiling" and hissing sound.
The hood of the car is hot regardless of the engine overheating, you can open the hood carefully and inspect a place the coolant leaks, I suppose it will be the coolant tank.
Do not open the radiator cap on the coolant reservoir while it is hot.
I do not ubderstand this sentence : "And there was loads of what smelled like antifreeze leaking onto the ground." , Could rephrase it?
Okay so the car was not overheating. What else would cause the smoke and the leaking fluid after a 45 mile ride?
If it is not an overheating issue, it could be a hole somewhere in the system.
A faulty coolant hose or radiator.
When the engine gets hot, a pressure is created in the cooling system and if the system is not sealed, it will leak.

Is it expensive to replace the radiator? And, is it possible that when the fluids were topped off, they were filled too high and caused the leaking under the car?

I can tell you nothing specific about prices since I am from another country.It could be about 4 hours to replace it and at least 300$ for the part.
I do not think that the problem was caused by overfilled fluids.
What color would the coolan fluid be? The color that was leaking from my 2006 taurus was very very light.
I would say it is light tan or yellow if it haven't been replaced from the factory to another type coolant.
Vladgmru
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician