Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1995 Mercury Villager: The drivers door power lock has issues

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Mercury...
I have a 1995 Mercury Villager. The drivers door power lock has issues.

1. It sometimes will not unlock from the outside with a key. The key will not turn. Like the actuator is holding it back.

2. Sometimes it buzzes.

3. The door will keep re-locking when I try to get out.

4. The door sometimes will not lock with the key even though the key turns in the cylinder.

5. The power locks do always work (lock, unlock) when using the switch. But many times as I stated, the door will re-lock when I pull the handle to get out.

I replaced the actuator with two separate used ones with the same result. Is this a relay issue or just a bad actuator?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
7/4/2009
Ford Mechanic: Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech replied 8 years ago
Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Does yours have keyless entry? >Keypad on door
No, mine does not. I also do not have remote entry or anything fancy. Always have to use the key for entry.

Hello there,

I am suspecting a poor ground or other bad connection somewhere or possibily a defective door lock controller. [which is located next to the gas pedal] I would check the wiring there first. Remove both kick panels at front of doors, check grounds there. You would either need to ohm out all the wiring or gamble and get another controller.

Click here> for wiring diagrams

Pinpoint Tests - Power Door Lock System

A2 CHECK LOCK SIGNAL WIRE

• Key OFF.
  • Disconnect all power door lock actuator connectors located in the LH front door , RH front door , body side door , and liftgate .
  • Disconnect the electronic door lock control processor connector located in the control console.
  • Close the body side door , allowing continuity through the body side door contact switch.
  • Measure the resistance of the "GN/Y" (lock signal) wire between the electronic door lock control processor connector and the inoperative power door lock actuator connector.
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms between the electronic door lock control processor and the power door lock actuator ?

Yes
GO to A3 .

No
SERVICE the "GN/Y" wire.

A3 CHECK UNLOCK SIGNAL WIRE

• Key OFF.
  • Measure the resistance of the unlock signal wire (refer to chart below) between the electronic door lock control processor connector and the inoperative power door lock actuator connector.

Power Door Lock ActuatorCircuit
    At Power Door Lock ActuatorAt Electronic Door Lock Control Processor
    LH Front DoorPH38 (W/R)PH35 (W/GN)
    RH Front DoorPH38 (W/R)PH35 (W/GN)
    Body Side DoorPH46 (W/R)PH35 (W/GN)
    LiftgatePH32 (GN/O)PH35 (W/GN)

Yes
REPLACE the electronic door lock control processor .

No
SERVICE the wire(s) in question.

graphic

Glenn
Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech