mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
11027379

how to gut a 93 ford f-150 catalytic converter

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  mustangmike replied 8 years ago.

I am assumming you have replaced this bad catalytic converter with a new one, for legal reasons...

since the old cat is off the vehicle, you can cut the cat open with a saw zaw or a cutting torch, and scoop out the guts.

if you are going to put this pipe back on an "OFF ROAD" ONLY VEHICLE, you can mig or tig weld the cat back together.

I did this on a 1988 grand marquise with clogged converters that we ran in a demolition derby.

thanks

mike

mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience: 13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
dear sir the catalytic converter is still on the truck, just want to dissasimble it where it is for now, how do I do this
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answer does not help me, I want to gut it while it is on the truck, just tell me how to do it. It is my responsiblesibility to put another one on, for now I need to dissable this one.
Expert:  Brad B replied 8 years ago.

For legal reasons I would have to advise not to do this. If you are willing to break the law and gut the cat. out, all you need to do is take a long metal rod, socket extensoion or whatever. And hit the crap out of the inside of the cat. This will break up the inside and then you will just start the vehicle and it the crud will blow out. If you have an o2 sensor after the cat you will need an o2 simulator to fool the computer in thinking the cat. is good. Many people try to put in an off road pipe (an exhaust pipe to replace the cat.) this is not always a good idea as you will fail a visual emissions inspections. It has actually been argued whether or not a cat.is required to pass an emission test (I have heard of many people being able to tune the engine so well (even carbureted) that they can pass an emission test with no cat, but fail by visual inspection.) I have included some information you can read from some different forums and such. Any questions let me know and I will help you out.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080506152954AAQZAM7

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=551402