Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 ford ranger brake lights not working. Fuses are fine

2000 ford ranger brake lights...
2000 ford ranger brake lights not working. Fuses are fine and replaced stop light switch on brake pedal. Bulbs are fine also. Suggestions?
6/9/2009
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Does the third brake light over cab work?
No. Bulb was blown and I replaced it but it still doesn't work.
I do have two different types of trailer light hookups wired into the rear. I can't get the main connection apart (Its old and stuck) but I'm thinking that may be my problem. The trailer lights do not work either. Blinkers, flashers, driving lights all work. sg
do you haev power coming off the brake light switch when pressed?
Well, here is where my ignorance comes into play. Not sure which wire should be hot coming off the switch. I know I have power to the switch, but I don't have my manual so I'm kinda stuck. There are several wires coming out and I'm not sure which one should have power. And I'm at work right now so I can't check it right now. sg
you should have 12 volts on the light green wire off the brake switch when you press the brake pedal.
I have power on the green wire. What do I need to check now?
is it only when you press the brake?
Only when I press the brake. Yes. I just have a test light so don't know the voltage. sg
pull the third brake light and see if teh green wire has 12 volts when you hit the pedal.

What do you mean by pull the third brake light?

were the third brake is attached remove the bulb and see if you have 12 volts there. Than check the wire on the connector and see if the green wire has 12 volts when brake applied.
I'm stupid, sorry. No power there. sg
than you need to trace the wire from the brake pedal to the light and see were the wire is broke. If you have power from the swicth and no power at the bulb than the wire is broke.
One more question before I accept (and thanks by the way, you've been great) If I find that and fix it and rear brake lights still not work will there be a wire between the switch and the rear lights or the third light and the rear lights? sg
the wire from the brake switch starts as 1 and than splices to 4 so since no lights work when you find the problem it should fix all the lights.
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Make sure you got your 15 dollars. I've never used this before and think I did it correctly.
yes and thank you
Ok. I couldn't find a break in the the wire, so I jumped power across the switch to one of the two green wires. My third light came on but not the rear lights. Does the other green wire maybe work the rear lights and if so I couldn't jump across it and get them to come on. sg

what all colors do you have at the switch?

I knew you were gonna ask me that and I'm at work and my truck is at home. Best I can remember there was green, green, red/green, brown? (not sure on that one, and black.

the red/green and (brown or whatever color) were both hot all the time and the black was ground. I think there were only those five. sg

I listed the wires in the order they are on the switch left to right. the second green is the one that made the third light hot when I jumped power over.

did that wire not have power already when you pressed the brake?
I thought it did when I talked to you yesterday but I was wrong. I'm thinking the "new" switch I put in may be bad too. But I still couldn't get the rear lights on jumping power so I think I have 2 problems. But you can hear the switch clicking when you press the brake so I don't really know. May just be over my head?
first replace the switch, If the third brake light works tahn and the rear do not than you will need to check the turn signal switch it may be abd also.The rear lights go thru it.
Ok, its been a week or so but had a hard time getting a turn signal switch. I replaced that and now my third light works, but no turn signals or brake lights and truck won't shift into drive without pulling the fuse for inactivate the position switch. I'm ready to burn a ford ranger. sg
Do you have 12 volts on green wire at the trun signal swicth when you press the brake?
There are two green wires. One has white stripe. Solid green has 12 volts.

the solid green. Ok do you have power on the dark blue/white and bron yellow with the pedal pushed?

No power on either. But definitely have power on green when I press brake. sg
switch is not good or the connection is bad. Is it a ford switch?
do you have power on the red/light green wire at the brake pedal swicth with brakes applied?
unhooked and reconnected. Now have power on both when I push the pedal. sg

everything working now?

red with light green is hot all time. When turn signal is turned on the indicator is fast like if the bulb is out but neither is out. If I turn on the flashers they aren't fast but the rear ones aren't on. And still can't shift into drive.
red with light green at the brake pedal swicth should only be hot when the pedal is pressed.
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician

Ok, if I un plug the connector from the brake switch the solid green is hot, the red/green is hot and the brown is hot. Maybe I have a bad connector? If its plugged in, the green/red is only hot with the pedal pressed but I can get voltage on the red/green whether the pedal is pressed or not. I can mess with it with my meter end and get it at a certain point where its only hot if I press the pedal but if I get a really good connection it seems to be hot all the time.

brown and light green/red should be hot all times. red/green should only be hot when braking. did you replace connector? the solid green is hot unplugged? are the lights on when you unplug?

I'll try and change the connector. The red/green is hot all the time. My bad. Green is hot when pressing the brake but the red/green is hot all the time. Will the connector come by itself or is that gonna be a major ordeal to replace like a whole wiring harness. And yes you're fixing to have some more money coming your way. thanks sg

I have a loose connection somewhere. I wiggled the connector plug in the brake light switch and finally got all 3 brake lights on, but the rear turn signals are still blinking really fast and I can't shift out of park. Any suggestions on how to chase down whats keeping me from being able to shift.

Is fuse number 10 in the interior fuse box good? I fit is than check the ground wire under the drivers seat and see if it is tight and clean.The turn signals and shift lock use the same ground.

Did this part only start after changing the turn switch?

The fuse is good. The only way I can get the truck to shift is by pulling that fuse. I'll check the ground under the seat. It started when I blew a fuse the other day checking the power leads coming out of the brake light switch. I'm thinking a loose wire because the ringing when the door is open tries to stay on now unless I reach under and shake some of the wires. Is there any way the ground could make that red/green hot when its not supposed to be?

I have seen some wierd stuff but I think you have a couple of wires that are touching and when you wiggle wires they come back apart

So just have to chase them from the brake switch backward? Is that the best way to start?
first i would check the ground. Than I would check the wiring from the brake switch up toward the column. The shift lock actuator is located on the column and if teh wiring is screwed up there it would explain your turn signals and shifter.
Thats when it started--when I took the column apart to take off the turn signal switch. Bet I pulled something loose. I'm sure I'll be getting back with you. thanks sg
ok I will be here for you
Tim
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician