Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003 f350: cranks..wont start..wouldnt start..drained fuel filter

Customer Question
2003 f350 6.0 ltr diesel...
2003 f350 6.0 ltr diesel cranks but won't start.
changed batteries, started and seemed to run fine.turned it off to hookup trailer
and it wouldn't start again. drained fuel filter on frame
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
6/2/2009
Ford Mechanic: fordman312009, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
fordman312009
fordman312009, Ford Technician
is fuel getting to the fuel filter up top ? and can you hear the injectors buzz when you turn the key on ?
i can hear something buzzing

your injectos should buzz each time the key turns on and if its buzzing that means your injectors and circuits are prob ok and now we need to know fuel pressure or if you have a scanner or can get a scanner we need to know the icp pressure

no scanner
where would i get one
well a scanner that can access and view pids would be very expensive but they can be found at autopart stores but the tool trucks have some good ones but there pricey. then can you take off the fuel filter cover and turn the key on and see if the bowl fills up ? the filter under the hood
i opened the drain plug on the top filter also but nothing came out

are you talking about the allen screw on the top side of the filter housing ?

yes
thats where our ford tool screws in at. can you get the top off ?
i haven't tried ican try tomorrow
ok let me know if it fills up with fuel you can remove the top climb ib the truck and peek through the hood and windshield and you can watch from the key so you dont spill fuel everywhere
ok talk to you tomorrow pm
ok goodnight
removed top off fuel filter on engine

cranked motor fuel overflowed
removed top off fuel filter on engine

cranked motor fuel overflowed

replaced cover still won't start
ok if your injectors are buzzing and the fuels overflowing you have a sync issue (cam sensor, crank sensor ) or you have a high or low pressure oil problem to check for low pressure you need to remove the oil filter let oil drain out and theres a spring type valve you need to press the spring part down with a long screw driver is what i use anything that pushes it down will work and have someone turn the engine over and see if oil fills the bowl up and if it does then low pressure is ok
ok low pressure seems to be ok
ok now we need a scanner to view the icp psi pid to find out if its a high pressure oil leak or a sync issue
what kind of scanner do i need

auto zone has one for about $60

that will give me codes

will this work
if the scanner will monitor and view the icp psi pid and the ipr % pid and the ficm sync and the sync pid then yeah get it but if not then you'll waist your money you need to be able to view live pids
icp over 450

cmp ckp sync = no

p2617 ckp signal output circuit open
thats a code for the crank sensor its behind the a/c compressor but that going out could cause your problem was that the only code ?
p0000 no dtc present

p1000 obd 11

p0603 internal cont mod kam error

cmp fault = no

p0603 test kinda leans towards pcm do you want the steps for each one of the codes and if you can do the test right that will lead you to your problem.if youhad access to another 2003 diesel you could swap the pcm's and try it

is this something i would be able to fix?
if so yes
Z: Continuous Memory Failure Z: Introduction

Z1 PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS FOR DTCS P0603 AND P0606

Note: Refer to the PCM and component connector pin numbers at the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Note: DTC P0606 may be set due to an intermittent engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor connector connection.

• Possible causes:
    • battery or PCM has been disconnected
    • battery cables loose or poor connection
    • battery discharged
    • EOT sensor connector intermittent connection (DTC P0606 only)
    • open in KAPWR circuit
    • blown fuse
    • PCM
  • Check for other codes.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Clear DTCs.
  • Cycle key off, then on.
  • Retrieve Continuous DTCs.
Are DTCs P0603 or P0606 present?
Yes No
GO to Z2 . Unable to duplicate condition. CHECK for loose connections, damaged or corroded pins. WIGGLE harness attempting to recreate fault. REFER to Section 3 for driveability concerns.

Z2 CHECK FUSE

Note: Refer to wiring schematic for fuse number.

• Key off.
  • Measure voltage between KAPWR fuse and battery ground.
Is battery voltage present on both sides of the fuse?
Yes No
GO to Z3 . REPAIR short to ground. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

Z3 CHECK FOR VOLTAGE TO PCM

• Disconnect the PCM body harness electrical connector.
  • Measure the voltage between PCM body harness connector pins 46, 34 and ground.
Is battery voltage present?
Yes No
CHECK for loose connections, damaged or corroded pins. WIGGLE harness attempting to recreate fault. CLEAR the DTCs and REPEAT the self-test. If DTC P0603 or P0606 is present again, INSTALL a new PCM. REPAIR open in the circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

thanks for your help
i can't find an accept button
its right here what did you find out ?
fordman312009
fordman312009, Ford Technician
fordman312009
fordman312009
fordman312009, Ford Technician