Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L Police Interceptor that…

I have a 1998 Ford...
I have a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L Police Interceptor that I race in the 24 hours of Lemons. The team wants me to delete the catalytic converters to gain power.
A) Will deleting the cats add power?
B) Were can I get a kit to do this job?
C) What if anything needs to be done to the cars computer.
D) What do I do with the four Oxygen sensors (include details).
E) Are there other changes needed to make this work?
6/1/2009
Ford Mechanic: lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic replied 13 years ago
lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Yes, it will add power. The most cost effective way to do this is to bring your car to an exhaust shop to cut out the converters out and weld in straight pipes. There is no need to remove the oxygen sensors. At the very least, the cars computer will see that the converters are missing and will set fault codes (P0420 and P0430) Since you will be using this car off road, I would not worry about it. Please be aware that once you do this, it will be illegal for you to drive this car on any public road. If you are caught driving with out catalytic converters, your car can be towed and impounded.
Can you tell me more about the Pros and Cons of having both pre-cat and between cat oxygen sensores vs. deleting the Oxygen sensor. What do the defaults tell the computer to do. Will it go full rich and burn a bunch of fuel?
The O2 sensors fine tune the fuel mixture to maintain a stoichiometric fuel mixture. But if you have pedal to the metal, it will run rich anyways. In theory, it will run rich by putting in default values to "limp home" mode. You would be better off leaving them in your OBDII car, just my 2 cents worth.
lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
What about leaving the per-cat one in and doing something else with the second one such as putting in a resistor?
You can do that to prevent the PCM form setting a code. I have seen this on many Mustangs that have had the cat's removed. I have seen something plugged in-line with the rear O2s. I do not know exactly how they work, but they trick the engine computer into thinking that the cats are working. But if you are racing this thing and you want to save money, I would not worry about it, removing the cats will allow the engine to breath better= more power. The codes that will set will not lower performance.