Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hi My A/C compressor wont stay on. Any idea what may be

Customer Question
Hi My A/C compressor won't stay...
Hi
My A/C compressor won't stay on. Any idea what may be the problem? I had someone look at it and not only was it not fixed but the person ended up putting a sealant in the tubing where you check for the air pressure. I've been told that this needs to be corrected but I'm not sure how.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Ford
5/31/2009
Ford Mechanic: rob_clement,
 replied 13 years ago
rob_clement
Is this a window unit or a central air unit? If you are talking about the access valve,or anything concerned with the sealed system,unless you are certified in hvac it is very dangerous to mess with .Both units are at a high pressure when off and at very high pressure when on.All that said,you may have a bad capicator or overload on the compressor.Unless you are comfortable with working on an a/c you would be better off having someone reputable fox it for you.Somethings to check for yourself would be looking for dirty coils.They should be clean on both sides.

Pardon me.. I forgot to mention that I was referring to the A/C compressor on a Lincoln Continental

Ford Mechanic: rob_clement,
 replied 13 years ago
Sorry,I will try and get you to the right expert
Thank you
Ford Mechanic: lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic replied 13 years ago
lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
What year is your Continental? The A/C is not cold and you see the A/C compressor clutch come on/off?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner..Because I didn't include enough info, the first response wasn't with the right tech and by the time my question reached you, I had gone to bed. To answer your question the year of my car is 1994 and the A/C compressor clucth won't come on automatic
Will the A/C work on "MAX A/C" ?

The A/C won't come on at all.. It only works when its jump

I remember before someone disconnected the A/C compressor, it would only work on max a/c.. But now I've been told that it won't turn on automatically, I suspect this most be when the control panel button is pressed. I've also notice only seems to really work when my car is in drive. Is this problem one in the same?

You do not notice cold air in "MAX A/C" or "AUTOMATIC"?

Sorry for the delay but again I went to bed and I just got in from work. When the A/C is Max A/C the air is cool but not cold. However, this only happens when the compressor is "jump," using the wires. Other than that it doesn't come on at all.
Have you had the refrigerant level checked? This is an R-134 system? You are jumping the connector at the A/C cycling switch at the accumulator/drier to make the compressor come on?
The refigerant level was fine. I'm really not sure of the system..I just know that is the one for a 1994 Lincoln Continental and with regards XXXXX XXXXX or how its being jump, the mechanic that worked on told me if I said it was being "jumped" with the wires that it would be understood. I just placed a called into to him to see if I can be of further help in heling you pinpoint the problem.
Besides sealant being installed, were any repairs made? Any other parts replaced? How many miles do you have?
No there were no other repairs made, the part replace was the compressor and the mileage on the car is 118,000
Did you get that??
Did they flush out the lines? DId they check the pressures on the low and high side of your A/C system? Why was the compressor replaced? Did it seize?
Yes The compressor was replaced because it seized. According to the mechanic the pressure was only check on the low side not the high side and yes the lines were flushed.

When I replaced the A/C compressor on my Honda, (I bought from a good seller on E-Bay), there were directions on flushing the A/C system, with a special note to replace the A/C condenser on Ford FX-10/ FX15 compressors, which is what you have on your car. At the dealership, I used to recommend replacement of the condenser and accumulator when the compressor would seize.

The A/C compressor failed internally, causing bits of metal to restrict/ clog the passages in the condenser, flushing it with solvent is not enough to clear the restrictions. The fact that they have to jump the compressor to make it work (with a new compressor and full charge) and it still does not blow cold indicates a restriction in the system.

Have your mechanic check the pressures on the high and low side. The low side should be cycling between 22 and 35 PSI and the high side should be about ambient temperature, plus 100 (if it's 80 outside, 180PSI)

You may need to replace the condenser at the very least, along with the accumulator and have the fixed orifice tube checked for contamination.

lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Thank you I will instruct my mechanic accordingly..
Oh..Sorry about the lenghty process... Your patience was much appreciated

Sorry for the 20 questions, I just want to give you the best answer I can.

Thanks for acepting my answer!

Thanks again and take care