Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How to change the serpentine belt on a 2004 F250 4WD 6.0 liter

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
5/15/2009
Ford Mechanic: Tim, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Customer

It is not fun, but you can do it without taking much off. The hardest part is releasing the tensioner. It takes a 1/2" drive ratchet or belt tool to release it. You can get to it better by removing the shield that goes over the alternator pulley that is attached to the shroud. This just clips in and can be released with a pick or small screwdriver and pulled up. Now you have a better shot at the tensioner. You will need to rotate the tensioner clockwise as you are looking at it from the front. reach under the passenger side of the tensioner and there should be a metal spring loaded clip. Rotate the tensioner until this clip engages the notch in the housing and then release. The tensioner will stay in the released position. Now you can remove the belt. Below is the belt routing. The book says you have to remove the fan shroud and stator, but it can be done without removing it. You may have to remove some things depending on how good you are at snaking the belt on. Once you have the belt in place, rotate the tensioner clockwise again until the metal spring pops out and then release. Let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks,

Tim

graphic

1 19D784 A/C clutch pulley
2 19A216 Idler pulley (without A/C)
3 19A216 Belt idler pulley
4 10344 Generator pulley
5 3A733 Power steering pump pulley
6 8A528 Water pump pulley
7 6312 Crankshaft pulley
8 6B209 Drive belt tensioner

Tim
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician