Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1997 F-150 Lariat. It is 2-wheel drive 4.6L V8. My

I have a 1997 F-150 Lariat. It is 2-wheel drive 4.6L V8. My front brakes started sticking to the point when I took my foot off the pedal the truck did not move. I dismantled them and found the right side inboard pad had separated from the metal base. I replaced the pads, bled the lines, and took it out for a road test. Initially all appeared fine. Within 5 miles, I noticed the sticking again. It was not as bad but it was there. I jacked up the front. The left wheel turns as expected. The right takes a considerable amount of force to get it to move. They both moved fine prior to the road test. Would this be the caliper, master cylinder, or the block that the lines from the master cylinder feed into? It appears the brake line has become “one-way”, pressure is applied to the caliper but not released.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The problem you are discribing is usually caused by sticking caliper. Replacing it will correct your issue. In most cases if you replace one, then its best to replace both sides.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

New caliper, another bleeding of the lines. No change. 4 mile trip to return the core and I have the wonderful smell of hot brake pads on the right side. Truck still sits at a stop without the brakes on.

I jacked up the front end. Left wheel turns fine, right takes quite a bit of force to move it. For giggles, I cracked open the bleeder valve and closed it. Once I did that, the right wheel turns fine.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Is there a chance you could have used some contaminated brake fluid? Did you also change the hardware. Grease the pins on the hanger?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Only if the new bottle of brake fluid was contaminated. Pins were replaced and greased.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the fluid is clean then it has to be the caliper unless the line to it from the master cylinder isnt pinched . If it was the master , it would effect both and or all 4 wheels.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

With the cracking of the bleeder valve and the wheel releasing that would indicate to me the caliper is working fine. What is the "box" that sits between the master cylinder and the brakes? I see two lines coming out of the master the seem to go into this box then I believe four lines coming out of it to each brake. I'm seeing no kinks anywhere. I'll have to wait for things to cool down before taking a closer look. But could this "box" of the line coming out of it to the right front potentially be blocked such that it is a one way line?

Also, with the new caliper were top and bottom rails that snapped on to the upper and lower brackets. With these on, it took quite a bit of work and force (not abusive) to get the pads seated in their location. With these out, they slide in easily. Are these required or are they a part for certain models?

Skip

Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
That would be the proportioning valve , its possible but usually it would effect both front wheels , its not a common problem as it controls a ll 4 brakes Front together and rear together. . Yes you need the new clips as they allow the pad to slide and are part of the hardware kit on every truck as well as cars..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OK. Well I'm hungry and it's been a long day. We'll resume this tomorrow after work weather permitting. Being the caliper is new, I don't suspect any issue with it. However, I've known it to happen. Is there anyway I can check the caliper to eliminate as a suspect? Could there be something in the line from the proportioning valve to the caliper causing this? Can that line be removed, cleaned out, and replaced? And, I'll plan on taking the precaution of replacing all the brake fluid. Anything else you can think of sir?

Thanks,

Skip

Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

There should be no restriction unless you have a pinched line. The only way to check the caliper is to squeeze it back in and see if it goes in smoothly and comes out smoothly. If the line are not pinched, and the caliper pins are clean and moving freely, I would suspect a bad caliper.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. Thanks. We shall see how it goes.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Your very welcome, thank you very much as well.