Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do I remove the thermostat housing on a 2001 f-150-5.

Customer Question
how do I remove...
how do I remove the thermostat housing on a 2001 f-150-5.4 engine-the bolt on the far left (where the heater core hose enters)under coming up I can not find a way to remove it and that is where I have a water leak
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
5/6/2009
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician

Hello and welcome to JA, I am going to send you the procedure from the shop manual, let me know if that is what you are looking for, or if you need more info.

1. Partially drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.
  1. Remove the air cleaner outlet pipe. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12.
  1. Disconnect the upper radiator hose.
  1. Remove the bolts and the power steering fluid reservoir support bracket.

graphicgraphic

Remove the water outlet connection.

1. Remove the bolts.
  1. Remove the water outlet connection

graphic

graphic

To install reverse the procedure.

the bolt that I cannot get at is on the opposite end of the housing from the thermostat-where the smaller diam.hose comes in from the heater core. I have a leak @ that point and want to remove to repace the gasket.

Thanks Gary

where the hose connects to , is it a tube that comes out of the intake? The only replaceable gaskets are the t-stat housing and the intake gaskets.

I am sending a photo -pointing to the boltbolt in questionbolt in question

it did not come through, it must be sent as a jpeg, do you know how to do that? If not I will tell you how, I just recently learned myself.

Ok I am at a friends computer and am having no luck attaching the photo. If you can help I would appreciate it.

Gary

save the pics in the my pictures folder and then open paint, then select edit on the top left and scroll down to paste from and the my pics folder will open, paste the pic and then select file at the top left and then save as... it will save it as a jpeg, then go to the window on the JA page that you type in, do you see the icon next to the smiley face that looks like a tree, click on it, then hit the browse icon and then hit the next browse icon,, this opens up the my pics folder then select the pic and hit ok, then hit insert do that for all the pics you want to send, I am going to feed my kids, I will be back in about 35 minutes, ok, I won't forget you, just wait for my responce.

When I click on the 1st browse all I get now is a click and it does not open.

when the first window pops up after hitting the tree icon, hit the browse button, and then another window opens with browse in it hit that one as well.
sir -when I click on browse nothing happens-can I e mail the photo to you
I can't exchange email on this site, I will be breaking the rules. did you save the pics in the my pics folder?
yes

I will try sending another pic of the intake, tell me if you see the area you are referring to . this pic is from the top with the front of the intake being at the top of the pic.

graphic

graphic

Oh the crossover tube, the gasket for that is part of the intake manifold gasket, so if that is leaking, then the intake must be removed to replace the entire gasket, it is not just a small one, it is the whole gasket assembly.

graphic

davehop
davehop, Ford Technician

thank you very much

Gary

thank you for the bonus, please leave feedback if I answered your question to your satisfaction.
davehop
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician