Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
12316582

my 1998 ford expedition has the overdrive light flashing. Generally

my 1998 ford expedition has the overdrive light flashing. Generally the light will only illuminate when the overdrive is manually turned off. Now it is flashing whether the over drive is engaged or not. I checked the ransmission fluid and it is at the correct level. What is causing this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
Customer

The flashing light indicates there is a concern in the transmission control system and it has stored a trouble code. This could be an electrical concern or a mechanical concern. You will need to have the codes retrieved and then a diagnosis of the code to determine the issue. Basically this light flashing is just like the check engine coming on for the engine control system indicating a malfunction. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Tim