Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
12316582

The Overdrive Light Off is blinking on my 1997 Ford F250.

Customer Question

The "Overdrive Light Off" is blinking on my 1997 Ford F250. Mechanic serviced transmission, reset code, but now its doing it again. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
Customer

The light is blinking because something is making it set a code. The most common code on these is a "slip" code. It could be many many different things. You will need to retrieve the codes from the computer and this should lead us in a direction. It could be a sensor or a mechanical concern inside the transmission. Let me know if you can get the code(s).

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I took the truck to my mechanic last week, but I cannot remember what the code was, the description was something like "trans slip". He drained the trans fluid, replaced filter, and oured a bottle of Lucas in it and said to try it for a few days. After about 45 minutes of running on the highway, the OD light will start blinking again and tht automatic trans will shift hard, kind of jerks. I can unhook the batteries and reset the computer, and it will be fine, unitl the trans heats up again. Care to take a stab at a diagnosis? I wont hold you to it, just second guessing my mechanics method of diagnosing.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
Customer

I can't say I can fault your mechanic for what he did. He was probably trying to save you some money. It was worth a try. The most common cause of the slip codes is the torque convertor on this model. However, It may need a trans overhaul. If it has some clutches slipping inside it will set these codes. If the fluid was discolored it most likely has some slipping clutches. So, without knowing the exact code my first guess would be torque convertor and then an internal trans concern.

Thanks,

Tim