SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

1995 f150: my speedometer and odometer and dome light is not working

hi I have a 1995 f150 with a 4.9L. I put a new radio in the truck and now my speedometer and odometer and dome light is not working. All items including the radio is on #8 fuse. The fuse is fine and the radio works. I think it my be a grounding issue. I used a pre made wirering harnes for the install of the radio.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I check every fuse and the fuses under the hood. I even replace #18 and 8 to make sure
Expert:  SuperBob replied 8 years ago.
try unplugging your new radio and see if the speedo now works
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I all ready did that and also put the old radio back in with no luck. I review all conections that I could find under the dash to make sure nothing was loses or came unpluged.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 8 years ago.
just re examined the wire diagram for your truck, the ground wire for your radio, is the same wire for the ground on your speedo, black with a blue stripe, maybe you cut the splice and your cluster now does not have a complete electrical ckt, look in behing the radio see if you can find an extra cut black with a blue stripe wire not attached to anything
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can I all so ground this wire to a better ground with an extra wire to the dash framing by usesing a 3 way spice conector.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can I all so ground this wire to a better ground with an extra wire to the dash framing by usesing a 3 way splice conector.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 8 years ago.
yes you can, it would be best for correct speedo operation to have that wire be alone when grounded, just to avoid interference from other components. why ford put it on the same ckt as the radio I will never know