Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford aerostar: Im changing a water pump..fan clutch..autozone..wrench

Customer Question
I'm changing a water pump...
I'm changing a water pump on a Ford aerostar but am having trouble with the fan clutch. I have the autozone fan clutch holder but when I go to turn the wrench the motor spins. I know it is left hand thread but am i holding the fan clutch properly.
                &nbs p;                                                    Thanks, Chris
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford

i am still having trouble with the wrench on the fan clutch. the fan clutch just free wheels on the shaft. am i not holding in the right place. illistrations?

Ford Mechanic: SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior replied 8 years ago
ill work on getting illustrations for you right now, meanwhile can you tell me if your serpentine belt is still on or did you remove it? it needs to be installed for this proceedure to work correctly
it is still connected

the ford workshop manual proceedure require the use of two tools one to hold the pulley, and one to spin the nut

3.0L and 4.0L

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS DESIRED
Tool NumberDescription
T84T-6312-CFan Clutch Holding Tool
T84T-6312-DFan Clutch Nut Wrench

Removal

1. Remove the fan shroud as outlined in Removal and Installation,Radiator in this section.

1. CAUTION: On 3.0L engines only, the large nut which attaches fan clutch to the hub of the water pump shaft has a left-hand thread and must be rotated clockwise for removal.

Remove the nut using Fan Clutch Holding Tool T84T-6312-C and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T84T-6312-D.

1. Remove the fan and fan clutch as an assembly.

1. Remove the bolts attaching the fan to the fan clutch, if necessary.

Installation

CAUTION: On 3.0L engines only, the fan clutch nut has a left-hand thread and must be rotated counterclockwise for tightening.

For installation, follow removal steps in reverse order. Tighten the fan-to-clutch bolts to 6-8 Nm (53-71 lb-in). Tighten the fan clutch assembly nut to 47-63 Nm (34-46 lb-ft).

the proceedure I informed you of earlier is to attempt to bypass the use of the second (holding tool). try again the way i decribed and smack the tool more on the end to shock the nut portion of the clutch, it does have years of road corrosion that is also contributing to how tight it is.

none of the pictures showed up. i'm not sure if you can send them another way
as I am new to just answer.com, I do not know if I am allowed to contact you via e-mail to try the pictures that way. let me research and get back to you.
I've researched the rules on contacting you via e-mail, it seems to be a gray area. I've submitted a question to the justanswer webmaster, awaiting reply.
pictures are still not coming up

graphicgraphic

did it work this time?

SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
got it thanks a mill. who would have thought you had to beat on a ford that hard.LOL
helps with stress sometimes too ;) nice meeting you
SuperBob
SuperBob