Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 ford focus: Check engine light..instrument..EGR valve..the vacuum

Customer Question
I have 2002 ford focus...
I have 2002 ford focus and I have this Check engine light on and I put an OBD 2 instrument on it and I came up with an error code P1401. No EGR flow or low flow. It certainly points to the EGR valve or the relay that controls the vacuum to the EGR valve. Is there a simple way to check this with out buying a new EGR valve?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2009
Ford Mechanic: Richard, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

That code is 99% of the time caused by the DPFE sensor. That is the sensor that monitors the amount of EGR opening.

graphic

I have 1 2002 focus and the picture you show does not look like what I have in my car.
Which engin eis in your Focus? 2.0 SOHC or 2.0 DOHC?
The picture you show is the CONTROL for the vacuum to the EGR valve. The rubber hose that goes to the EGR valve. I have no loss of power, the car runs fine. except the for the Check engine light.
The pic is of the DPFE sensor. The two hoses should go to the EGR tube. The other sensor is the vacuum regulator. Let me know which enigne you have.
I have the 2000 liter DOHC engine. Ztech engine

Here is a better pic in which you can see the DPFE and the EGR vacuum regulator. The DPFE is the top one. Make sure all the hoses are properly connected then with a vacuum pump pump up the EGR as the engine is idling. If the engine runs rough or even stalls then the valve is working and the DPFE should be chanegd.

graphic

On my car the round plastic cap is there and it has a electrical connector and two vacuum hoses on the bottom. What you show with the two arrows is not in my car. Only the round plastic thing with the two vacuum hose. One goes to the vaccum from the fuel injector and the other to the EGR vavle top of the egr vavle to control the valve.

Ok

Locate the EGR tube going from the valve to the exhaust. There will ne two small rubber hoses going to the tube which will go to the DPFE sensor.

The only vacuum sensor I see is under the EGR vavle two rubber hoses from the pipes lncoming from the EGR sensor. There is electrical connector going to it. the hoses are much larger than the vacuum hoses that control the EGR vavle.
I looks like that IS THE DPFE SENSOR?
Yes that is the DPFE sensor.
Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Richard, ASE Certified Technician