A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

DASH LIGHT NO LIGHT I HAVE A 2000 FORD EXCURSION AND MY DASH

Customer Question

DASH LIGHT NO LIGHT
I HAVE A 2000 FORD EXCURSION AND MY DASH LIGHT ALONG WITH MY HEATER CONTROL LIGHTS ARE NOT WORKING.

IM NOT SURE WHAT GOING ON WITH IT I CHECKED ALL THE FUSES AND CHANGED THE ONES THAT WENT OUT (RADIO )

PLZ HELP IF YOU EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW HOW TI FIX IT
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 years ago.

Hello bigwill132374, Before we go anyfurther, check the dimmer switch on the headlight switch for the dash lights. Turn it all the way one direction then the other. See if the lights come on. If not, the headlight switch is at fault. Check the dimmer first.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I checked the dimmer switch the dash nore the heater ac control lights up

The the lights do not come on or flicker with the dimmer switch, check for power on the light blue/red wire from the headlight switch and see if you have power 12volts there. If not, the headlight switch may be at fault. It has a pulse with dimmer module built into it and if no power at the light blue/red wire, your headlight switch is at fault and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the light cut on with the flicker my dome lights work and also the head light
What lights work?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my dome reading light and head lights

The dash lights are controlled by the headlight switch. The other lights can work and your dash lights can be out. The headlight light switch sends power to each circuit turning them on. The switch can be bad and your other lights can work but no dash lights.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok so should ui take a 12v tester to see if they have power

graphic

Remove the headlight switch and check for power on the lightblue/red stripped wire. There should be 12 volts.

graphicgraphic

Also check for power winth the key on at the connectors with the listing of "POWER" in the 2 diagrams. Then with the connectors back on the switch and the lights turned on, check for power at the other pins.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i found out that there is a wire sortage in my dash light and or ac control lights. Do you have a diagram for those parts

graphic

This is the diagram for the dash lights to the AC controls.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you have any other diagrams for the wireing

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic