Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Focus: spark plugs..SE..the coil pack wiring, I used the diagram

Customer Question
Today I changed the spark...
Today I changed the spark plugs and cables on my Ford Focus 2001 SE, with 2.0L SOHC engine. I bought the parts from Pep Boys (Bosch +2 platinum plugs, BWD select cables). For the coil pack wiring, I used the diagram in a Haynes manual. Cylinder 4 was connected to the top terminal and the firing order is 4-1-3-2.   Right now, the engine runs very rough.   Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
3/12/2009
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

Here is the firing order is this what ya did?

graphic

The diagram that you show appears to be the one for the 2.0L Zetec engine. I have the 2.0L SPI. The terminals on the cap have a diamond configuration, with terminal 4 at the top.

I wrote down the terminal order as I disconnected the cables, but what I wrote down didn't match the manual. I may have made a mistake.

The new cables are now connected as indicated in the Haynes manual for the SPI engine. I didn't connect them any other way. The car starts and idles a little rough. When I put it in drive, it sputters badly and stalls.

try thisClick image to see an enlarged view2.0L (VIN P) EngineFiring order: 1-3-4-2Distributorless ignition system Click image to see an enlarged view2.0L (VIN 3) EngineFiring order: 1-3-4-2Distributorless ignition system Click image to see an enlarged view2.0L (VIN N) & 2.3L (VIN Z) EngineFiring order: 1-3-4-2Distributorless ignition system

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

The diagrams that you sent didn't match my car. I finally found the cylinder numbers printed on the cap itself. Apparently, Ford does not have a standard cap and uses several different ones. That's kind of strange. Any way, my car is running very smoothly now. Thank you.
HiCustomer

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy