Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

f150: my 04..When I crank it up it seems to have surges..It runs fine

When I come to a stop my 04 f150 idles down and shuts off. When I crank it up it seems to have surges on the tachometer and again will idle down and shut off. It runs fine on the road
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Which engine is in your truck? Any warning indicators on? When the engine stalls will it start right back up?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
5.4 triton V8. No warning indicators and it will crank right back up but sometimes it will stay and sometimes it idles off.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.

Ok

We are seeing problems with the electronic throttle and the PCM programming on those trucks. The problem is due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to air[low less than desired. The remedy is to reprogram the PCM then check the throttle values and if not within spec the throttle needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This can only be done through the dealership?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 years ago.
The programming can only be done at the dealer. I recommend you see if there are any fault codes stored in the PCM. You can go to your local parts store or autozone as they will usually do this at no charge. If the codes are any of these P2135, P2106, P0505 or P0506 then I suspect the problem to be the throttle and PCM programming.