Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

1994 Ford: 7.3 Diesel..that wont start..12 volts..light comes

Customer Question

Have a 1994 Ford 7.3 Diesel that won't start. Have 12 volts at glow plug relay. No wait to start light comes on. Should I replace the relay and control module or is there a fuse somewhere that I can check first? Nick
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Is this the old IDI 7.3 or the 7.3 DI Turbo?

Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust when cranking? What color is it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I started the truck and drove it about 20 seconds. I think the alternator went out and may have spiked voltage. The truck died. When I tried to restart it, the wait to start light did not come on and has not come on since. No smoke from exhaust. This is the non turbo 7.3 diesel. I do have 12 volt at relay.

Ok, check fuse 17 for the wait to start light. Replace if blown.

Check all fuses for that matter. Especially under the hood. Replace any that are need.

Then I would like for you to check for 12v on the BK/O wire going to the glow plug controller. If you don't have 12v there, you have a blown fuseable link. Repair.

Check for 12v with the key in the run on R/LG wire at the glow plug controller. If you don't have it there check for blown fuse "K" replace if needed.

Let me know what you come up with so far.

Thanks