OnlineMech
OnlineMech, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  Ford Mechanic
9051600

Tried to install but horn goes off continually

Customer Question

purchased new battery. Tried to install but horn goes off continually? Am i doing wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  OnlineMech replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

This is normal, you need to connect the battery. The horn will go off, then you need to push the unlock button on your key remote and the horn will turn off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried to hit unlock but horn still goes off
Try to lock then unlock. It's normal for the alarm to go off when installing the battery. If that does not work lock the driver door with your key then unlock it. However the remote should turn the alarm off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does not work still, horn still blowing
Have someone sit in the driver seat while you are hooking the battery up. Then the preson inside should Lock, then Unlock the doors using the inside switch. Then attempt to start the car.

If that does not work try this:

Check under the driver dash you will find the alarm switch which is a little push in button, spring loaded.

When you locate the button or switch,
turn on the ignition key, press and hold
in the button until the alarm chirps 1 time
(for toggle types, key on, flip switch in the
opposite direction, then key off)

This should over ride the system.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do while battery connected and horn going off? is there way to dissconnect horn?
Yes you can disconnect the horn by unplugging the wires from it. Yes you will have to do it while it's going off. Get someone in the car when you connect it. Lock / Unlock doors and it should turn off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry, is no alarm button under driver dash to reset. anything else i can do?
Did you try hooking it up with someone sitting in the car then the person in the car lock/unlocking the doors?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, tried that. the lights are all on too. head and tail lights. wont go off. another option?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
also car wont start. is that because cable needs tighten or needs jump? is that normal?
Car won't start because the horn going off is the alarm being activated. The alarm is not allowing you to start.

Do you have another remote? When you lock with your remote does the car respond?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

have two remotes, tried both. Neither unlock or lock doors.

It's has to be a malfunction then. The card that holds the program for the alarm must be malfunctioning causing the alarm to be triggered. I hate to tell you this but it's gonna have to go in to the dealer. I'll open this question back up to everyone in case they know something I don't. I will reopen this question and opt out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does it have to be towed, i cant override?