powerstroker24
powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6
14825969

2005 ford f350 super duty: batteries..new alternator..belt..tensioner

Customer Question

2005 ford f350 super duty 6.0. Have new batteries, new alternator, new belt and tensioner. Battery light keeps coming on. Charging at 14.35 at alternator, 13.75 at batteries. I have a stereo installed and a Bully Dog Power Pup chip installed. Any Ideas. All DTC codes = U0404, p0500, p0528, U0522, U1338 amd U0407
Category: Ford
Expert:  powerstroker24 replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question and I will do my best to help. Is this a single alternator setup? When the battery light is actually on have you verified charging voltage at that exact time? Are you checking at the batteries or at the alternator itself? Also the p0528 might be something to keep an eye on as it is a fault in the fan cluch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It is a single alternator and when the battery light is on im reading 14.35 at the alternator and 13.36 at the batteries. Thanks for the input on p0528, my fan is spinning slowly.

Okay what I would like you to do is obviously make sure we have good connections at our batteries and alternator but more importantly using a jumper wire run a jump from a negative battery post to the alternator case. If this raises our voltage at the batteries or the connection sparks when made then we need to inspect the engine ground stud at the bottom front side of the engine by the a/c compressor. REMOVE the nut and stud and inspect,clean and reinstall as necessary. Thanks and I hope this works for you. Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No change when I jumpered the battery ground to the alternator case. Removed and cleaned the engine ground connection anyway. Still have battery light. Battery light comes on and goes off, it is not solid.

Do we actually have a issue with batteries going dead still or have we been replacing all of these parts chasing the battery light issue?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I had purchased new batteries about a year ago. about 8 months later the battery light came on and off. This lasted about a month then the battery light stopped coming on. Then about a month ago my batteries were completely dead. I replaced them under warranty. All this time my battery light has not been on. Then three days ago I got stranded and called a tow truck. The alternator tested bad. I replaced the alternator and the light started up again. I then replaced the belt and belt tensioner I starting to think that maybe its this new alternator. But test shows charging good. ****diode??? I just tested the charging again and its said charging but low charging.

Okay what do you mean by low charging? What exact voltage? Also if we can get a low voltage reading at the batteries(obviously its intermintent) lets try the ground jumper as stated before. Get back with me and lets see what we have going on, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I went to a mech. shop and their tester showed it was charging good then just a few minutes later it was charging low thats all I saw. At the time it was charging low is when we used the jumper. nothing changed in the charging, no sparks, nothing. Then I cleaned the engine ground connecter and the battery light was still on.
Okay so basically we need to determine the condition of our charging system circuits. We also need to adress what we know is not working nomatter what has been replaced and in this case it would be the charging system. Of coarse we definately want to insure both batteries test good and are charged and have proper charging capacity. Even though the batteries are newer we still dont want to overlook insuring they are good. So we are also confident we dont have a battery connection issue and we have insured the engine ground is good to go(checking the frame ground on the driver side negative cable wont hurt either but im sure we wont find anything there). I am going to follow this post immediately with a pinpoint test.
PINPOINT TEST B: THE CHARGING SYSTEM WARNING INDICATOR IS ON WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING (THE CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE DOES NOT INCREASE)

NOTE: 6.0L Diesel generator shown, all others similar.

Test StepResult / Action to Take
B1 CHECK THE GENERATOR B+ CIRCUIT 36 (YE/WH)
  • Measure the voltage between the generator B+ terminal, circuit 36 (YE/WH), component side and ground.
  • Is the voltage equal to battery positive voltage (B+)?
Yes
GO to B2.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
B2 CHECK THE A CIRCUIT 35 (OG/LB)
  • Disconnect: Generator C102a.
  • Measure the voltage between the generator C102a pin 3, circuit 35 (OG/LB), harness side and ground.
Yes
GO to B3.

No
B3 CHECK THE I CIRCUIT 904 (LG/RD) FOR AN OPEN
  • Ignition ON.
  • With the key in the ON position and the engine off, measure the voltage between the generator C102a pin 1, circuit 904 (LG/RD), harness side and ground.
Yes
GO to B4.

No
B4 CHECK FOR A VOLTAGE DROP IN B+ CIRCUIT 36 (YE/WH)
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Connect: Generator C102a.
  • Start the engine.
  • With the engine running, turn the headlamps on and the blower motor to the high position.
  • With the engine at 2,000 rpm, measure the voltage drop between the generator B+ terminal, circuit 36 (YE/WH), component side and the positive battery terminal.
  • Is the voltage drop less than 0.5 volt?
Yes
If the generator has an external stator circuit 4 (WH/BK), GO to B5. If the generator has an internal stator circuit, INSTALL a new generator. REFER to Section 414-02.

No
REPAIR the high resistance in the B+ circuit 36 (YE/WH). TEST the system for normal operation.
B5 CHECK THE GENERATOR INTEGRITY
  • With the engine running at approximately 2,000 rpm, full-field the generator by grounding the F (field) terminal on the voltage regulator.
  • Did the charging system achieve approximately 75% of full output?
Yes
INSTALL a new regulator. REFER to Section 414-02.

No
INSTALL a new generator. REFER to Section 414-02.
PINPOINT TEST C: THE CHARGING SYSTEM OVERCHARGES (BATTERY VOLTAGE IS GREATER THAN 15.5 VOLTS)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I printed your pinpoint tests, however the images do not show up in your message. Is it possible to email it to me? Some of the codes will be easier to figure out with an image. Thank you.. [email protected]
Your email did not show up as it is blocked by the site. You dont necessarily need the pics but the text should be enough to complete the tests as it gives wire colors in the test title. Just try the tests and if you have questions please feel free to ask, thanks. Also please insure to let the engine run for at least 2 minutes when performing charging system voltage checks to let the glowplugs time out for a more accurate reading, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Step B2 , Battery 12.44, Pin 3 12.44 ---------- Step B3 Battery 12.32, Pin 1 12.24 ------------------ Step B4 = 00.55 --------- You tell me. If I need to repair the high resistance in the B+ circuit 36, I dont know what that is. If I need to continue I dont know what the F (field) terminal is. Is the voltage regulator on the alternator?
Okay well the B+ circuit is our battery cable circuit. Basically our alternator cable connects at the passenger battery via the smaller cable that is secured by the 10mm nut. Please insure this connection is clean and tight (remove and clean). Also insure the connection at the alternator is good. We can also try a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the bolt connection at the alternator to eliminate a issue with that circuit. Let me know what we find, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I cleaned the the connection at the alternator and the 10mm connection on the passenger side battery. I then also installed a jumper wire. The battery light still comes on and off. It's a new alternator so I am going to return it for a replacement and eliminate that as a possibility because it looks like your next step is either that or the voltage regulator. Is the voltage regulator combined with the alternator? I'm working this weekend so I won't get to it until Sat. night or Sun. But I will leave this page open for furthur discussion.
The regulator is internal to the alternator. Okay ill wait for your response, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should I get a spark when I connect the positive battery cable on the driver side? Changing the alternator apparently fixed the battery light but I'm wondering if this spark at the driver side bat. could be causing alternator/charging system failure.

Well if both batteries are disconnected and then you connect either battery you could get a spark from the modules powering up. I wouldnt think that it would have caused this issue. Basically if we had an excessive draw on the electrical system it would drain the batteries overnight. Im sure we are ok but if we do get a battery drain overnight then send me a pm or start another question and we will tackle that issue. Thanks again and im glad I could help.

Just getting a update on where we are on this one, thanks.