Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Taurus Transmission Problems

I have a 2003 Ford...
I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SES while driving the transmission just stopped, you get no gear at all and the car will not move, any suggestions
2/15/2009
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Check the fluid level and condition when hot and idlng, it should be full and bright red, if it is black and smells badly burnt then the trans is burnt up. Also turn the vehicle off and check the fluid level on the trans dipstick then check it when running. The fluid level should be higher when off and drop when running, if it stays the same then the problem is in the torque convertor front hub splines, they are stripped and not turning the trans oil pump on the back of the valve body.Either way you are looking at removing the trans, its just a question if you can just replace the torque convertor or if you have to do a full blown overhaul or replacement
Are there some type of sensors that would tell the trans that it is not in gear. no gear is working at all and it went out while driving with no other problems
Even if all the electronics on the trans failed, you will always have reverse and one forward gear range,sounds like an internal failure, either the oil pump drive, a forward clutch piston or gearset failure.
so this is something that it needs to go to a transmission shop have it repaired
Yes it would require removal of the trans a rebuild or replacement.
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
ok, thank you time
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans