John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

Can you tell/show me the timing chain alignment marks for a

Can you tell/show me the timing chain alignment marks for a 5.4l ford motor? It is in a ford f150 that has had an engine swap to the 5.4l.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

First the chains have some gold/bronze links. If you cant see them XXXXX XXXXXke this.

graphic

here are the cam marks

graphic

and here are the crank marks

graphic

now you line up the marked chain links with the timing marks and it is in time.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The crank is set at TDC on that picture? The passenger side cam, is it one tooth to the right of center? Also on the cam thats on my truck, the driverside cam has that outward dimple closer to the other hole on the gear. Opposite of the pic. Would that make a difference?
Expert:  John Mc replied 8 years ago.
yes the crank is at tdc. all that matters with the marks is that the links match up to the dots and the mark on the crank sprocket. after that install your tensioners and you're good.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok well i understand now that there are links in the chain to line up with the cam and crank gears. If the crank in TDC then the cams positions are the same as in the picture?
Expert:  John Mc replied 8 years ago.

you got it! hope this helps.

please accept if this was helpful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well this is where i am at, got the chains off, cant find any copper,gold, or bronze on the chain anywhere. the truck ran before i took it apart, i know they should work. what else am i looking for on the chain?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i think the engine might fall into the 2001 motor category. i looked all over the internet and found all kinds of different ways to time it. not sure which one is right but found one that has examples of only 2 links lining up on each chain to each gear and one keyway being 12 oclock the other being 11 oclock. whats happening

Expert:  John Mc replied 8 years ago.

you can stretch out the chain like in the first pic. then mark the link on the ends of the chain. just like the pic.

click here for detailed info on timing (you dont need the tools mentioned in the instructions to do this. remove the cam followers and it will be easy without the tools)

hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the help anyhow. When i finally get it right cylinders 2,3, and 4 were still filling up. Drove it hard with the blown head gaskets just didnt believe it was that bad.