Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

How do you change a thermostat for a 2002 ford taurus?

Customer Question
how do you change a thermostat for a 2002 ford taurus?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2009
Ford Mechanic: lostrider, Ford Technician replied 8 years ago
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What type of engine is in your Ford?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

I have a V-6 3.0 liter regular engine
Thank you for the reply, here is the procedure.
Notes

Thermostat

Removal and Installation

1. Drain the engine cooling system.

graphic

1. Remove the three thermostat housing bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the thermostat O-ring seal.
    • Inspect the sealing surfaces.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Actually, I did whatnyou mentioned above, however, when I put the gasket and sealant on and reconnect the three bolts, it leaks. What could I be doing wrong?
Are you using a paper gasket or a rubber O-ring to seal the thermostat housing?
I am using a paper gasket. Rubber seems like it would be better. But, this is what the auto-parts store have in-stock for my make/model/year.
Thats where the problem lies, That thermostat housing uses a rubber O-ring to seal the thermostat, when you removed the old thermostat there should have been one on the old thermostat, it is not reusable and needs to be replaced with the new thermostat. Here is the Ford part number for the thermostat that the parts house might be able to cross to ensure you get the right parts.
Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Thermostat
6 - ThermostatYF1Z8575BA$15.52
I have to tell you that I went to two different parts dealers and they both had in-stock a paper gasket for my make/model/year. In addition, I removed a paper gasket that was previously on the housing. Do you think maybe that I'm placing the thermostat in wrong?

can I get the 17 digit vin number to your car to check the engine code?

My VIN is IFAFP53U82G112000.
Thank you for the reply, I have checked the vin number and the engine is a U code engine, all the service manuals that I had accessed is saying there is an o-ring, but since you pulled a gasket from yours I believe the manuals are misprinted, so heres goes, need to make sure the mating surfaces are clean on the engine and the t-stat housing, insert the thermostat into the housing with a slight twist, the thermostat should stay seated in the housing, apply a small amount of sealer to the housing and stick the gasket to it and then install it on the engine and tighten the retaing bolts evenly, then see if it still leaks then.
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
lostrider
lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician