Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

f250: fuel indicator keep coming..changed the filters bled the lines

Customer Question
f250 2005 water in fuel...
f250 2005 water in fuel indicator keep coming on. I have changed the filters bled the lines and still an indicator
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2009
Ford Mechanic: Shawn, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 9 years ago
Shawn
Shawn, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hi & thanks for asking, my name is Shawn & would like to help you resolve your concern.

How many miles on your Super Duty?

What is your VIN number?

I believe there is a service bulletin on this concern, but I need your vin # XXXXX I can run an oasis report.

Thanks, Shawn.

I was able to find the technical service bulletin without your vin #, here is the article.

FORD:2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2005 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 06-6-5 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 F-Super Duty vehicles built prior to 9/22/2004, 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles built prior to 1/10/2005, and 2004-2005 E-Series vehicles built prior to 9/16/2004 and equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit an intermittent / flickering water in fuel (WIF) lamp. The intermittent condition may be more prominent while turning corners, braking, or during uphill/downhill driving.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit a continuous WIF lamp on, even without the presence of water, due to debris in the reservoir or corrosion on the WIF sensor pins located in the manifold.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit both intermittent / flickering and continuous WIF due to corrosion and the lack of new calibration.

ACTION:

Use the following Service Procedure based upon the customers symptom.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. For intermittent / flickering WIF lamp condition reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using the IDS release B32.11 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
  2. If the WIF lamp continuously illuminates without the presence of water, this may be due to corrosion on the sensor pins or sediment build up in the water reservoir.
    1. Drain the horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM) reservoir and look for significant corrosion debris or sediment in the fluid drained from the reservoir. Remove the WIF sensor and inspect for corrosion on the pins. Remove the WIF Senor by first disconnecting the electrical connector, then using channel locks, rotate the WIF sensor at least 45 degrees counterclockwise. If there is corrosion / sediment on the pins, proceed to Step b. If there is not, refer to PC/ED lead diagnostics and do not proceed with the TSB.
    2. If corrosion on the pins is causing the WIF lamp to illuminate, replace the WIF sensor with service kit, following the WIF sensor installation instructions in the kit.
    3. If there was significant corrosion debris or sediment drained from the reservoir, clean the housing of the HFCM of any debris following the HFCM cleaning procedure. It is not necessary to replace the Manifold or HFCM assembly.
  3. Vehicles with both an intermittent and continuous WIF light due to corrosion are to follow actions 1 and 2 as described above, referring to the vehicle built dates and application.

HFCM Cleaning Procedure

Disconnect both battery ground cables

Raise and support the vehicle

Disconnect the fuel pump, heater, water in fuel electrical connectors from HFCM

graphic

• Disconnect HFCM electrical harness from main vehicle harness.
  • Disconnect the fuel hoses from HFCM.
    1. Remove the fuel hose retaining clips and discard. Disconnect the fuel hoses closest to the engine
  • graphic

Press in the retaining clips and release the fuel hoses closest to the fuel tank

(Figure 3 Number 2).

graphic

Remove the screws and the fuel manifold cover (Figure 4).

graphic

• Clean debris from the HFCM water reservoir housing (max 25 psi air).
  • Install the manifold cover and screws and torque to 44lb-in (5 N-m) (Figure 5).
  • graphic

• Reconnect/reinstall fuel lines.
  • Verify that there are no fuel leaks from the HFCM.
  •  

PART NUMBERPART NAME
    6C3Z-9C264-AWIF Snsor Kit

Shawn
    Shawn, Ford Senior Master Technician
    Shawn
    Shawn
    Shawn, Ford Senior Master Technician