Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

While driving my ford ranger is jerking (like slipping)

while driving my ford ranger...
while driving my ford ranger is "jerking" (like slipping)
12/20/2008
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello XXXXX'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns.

Which engine?

How many miles?

Any recent repairs?

At what speed does this occur at?

Does it seem to be gear related?

Any warning indicators on?

Auto or manual trans?

Have not heard back from you yet?

Its a 2003 Forad Ranger 4x4

V6 6 cylinder

no recent repairs, just general maintance (oil changes etc)

Occured at various speeds

No warning lights at all

Auto transmission

Seems do it when its wet out (snowing or raining)... likes its missing or skipping... I am not sure how to really put into words what it actually feels like...

Do you notice it feeling like it is just reving up and going nowhere?

Does it feel like you are accelerating up hill and hitting basketball size patches of ice causing a stutter?

Does it feel like the ignition is being cut off for a fraction of a second for multiple times?

How many miles?

when driving down the freeway at even 45 miles it happens... like your are driving along adn all is normal and then suddenly it jerks just like that... may happen again in 3 minutes may happen again in 15.

Has 101K miles on it.

At this time it sounds like your experiencing a misfire associated with faulty plug wires and spark plugs. I do not believe it is a fuel pressure concern. Sinc eit does not rev high or shudder I am not seeing this as a trans concern.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

i just scheduled a tune up at the ford garage and full vechile inspection... and you are correct they found it needed new plugs, and plug wires and cap. And replaced the fuel filter as well. thank you for your time. It was of help!

Good deal
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician