How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Your Own Question
Tim, Ford Technician
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 3580
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Tim is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Were is the four wheel drive actuator located on a 2002 ford explorer

Resolved Question:

were is the four wheel drive actuator located on a 2002 ford explorer
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
What do you mean byXXXXXactuator?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well it may be called theXXXXXcontrol module but i work at advance auto and they called it an actuator, it has a black box with a push botton of some sort on the side of it, it also has a light bulb and two plugs on it, one small and one larger one. What happened was theXXXXXlight blinks, so i took it to ford and they diagnosed it as theXXXXXmotor/actuator so i began to rip out the dash and figured because of the light bulb attached to it that it was behind the dash some were but can no locate it please help lol also it seems to drive fine at a higher speed and on straight strips, but when going slow and turning it seems to wine and it like wants to click while turning right or left
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
according to the workshop manual it should be behind the glove box.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
alright not that im a dis beleiver but this is my first time using this site, let me run to the garge real fast and check then i shall accept, thanks a million
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
im not seeing it does it give like details on were behind the glove box?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

here is a picture at this site check it out


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
part number is XXXXX
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
The ford dealer is probably calling the transfer case shift motor the actuator. That is located on the back of the transfer case. As far as the actuator picture and part you sent the picture for I have never seen that on an explorer.

The explorer has the switch, control module, and transfer case motor. If they are talking about the shift motor than try tapping the motor to see if it free up.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i cant find this thing any were, but there are openings on the black box part and why would the light bulb be on it, wouldnt that make you assume it was in the dash some were?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is it possible to be under the arm rest location or would that be crazy? i cant figure out what the light bulb is for? i just called my work (advance auto) and had them check an 03 as well it also calls for the same part number fwd30....i hope you can help me figure this out, and thanks for your time beleive me ill pay ya lol
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.
Like I said I have never seen that on a explorer 4x4 system. The only thing with a light that i know of is the switch and the dash indicators. Let me look at older manuals.
Tim and 7 other Ford Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks and i appreciate it, i thought it would be for the insrument cluster myself witch led me to beleive that is was in the dash those are all out now, and no sign of the actuator
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well i just found out that what im trying to change is the actuator switch, and cant find it but the person i spoke with said it may be the motor itself and said to try tapping on it may free it up well ill pay you for your help thank you very much man