Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Were is the four wheel drive actuator located on a 2002 ford explorer

Customer Question
were is the four wheel drive actuator located on a 2002 ford explorer
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
12/20/2008
Ford Mechanic: Tim, Ford Technician replied 9 years ago
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
What do you mean byXXXXXactuator?
well it may be called theXXXXXcontrol module but i work at advance auto and they called it an actuator, it has a black box with a push botton of some sort on the side of it, it also has a light bulb and two plugs on it, one small and one larger one. What happened was theXXXXXlight blinks, so i took it to ford and they diagnosed it as theXXXXXmotor/actuator so i began to rip out the dash and figured because of the light bulb attached to it that it was behind the dash some were but can no locate it please help lol also it seems to drive fine at a higher speed and on straight strips, but when going slow and turning it seems to wine and it like wants to click while turning right or left
according to the workshop manual it should be behind the glove box.
alright not that im a dis beleiver but this is my first time using this site, let me run to the garge real fast and check then i shall accept, thanks a million
im not seeing it does it give like details on were behind the glove box?

here is a picture at this site check it out http://www.bwdbrand.com/web_app/catalog/bwd_bgBulk.aspx

part number is XXXXX
The ford dealer is probably calling the transfer case shift motor the actuator. That is located on the back of the transfer case. As far as the actuator picture and part you sent the picture for I have never seen that on an explorer.

The explorer has the switch, control module, and transfer case motor. If they are talking about the shift motor than try tapping the motor to see if it free up.
i cant find this thing any were, but there are openings on the black box part and why would the light bulb be on it, wouldnt that make you assume it was in the dash some were?
is it possible to be under the arm rest location or would that be crazy? i cant figure out what the light bulb is for? i just called my work (advance auto) and had them check an 03 as well it also calls for the same part number fwd30....i hope you can help me figure this out, and thanks for your time beleive me ill pay ya lol
Like I said I have never seen that on a explorer 4x4 system. The only thing with a light that i know of is the switch and the dash indicators. Let me look at older manuals.
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
thanks and i appreciate it, i thought it would be for the insrument cluster myself witch led me to beleive that is was in the dash those are all out now, and no sign of the actuator
well i just found out that what im trying to change is the actuator switch, and cant find it but the person i spoke with said it may be the motor itself and said to try tapping on it may free it up well ill pay you for your help thank you very much man
Tim
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician