Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I KEEP GETTING A CODE P0155 FOR BANK 2 SENSOR 1 MALFUNCION

I HAVE REMPLACE THE SENSOR...
I KEEP GETTING A CODE P0155 FOR BANK 2 SENSOR 1 MALFUNCION I HAVE REMPLACE THE SENSOR TWICE WITH NO RESULTS I EVEN TRACE BACK THE WIRE AND TEST THEM BUT WITH NO RESULTS IN WHAT DIRECTION SHOUD I GO NOW
12/16/2008
mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
what year and model ford do you have, and i'll go through the diag with you.
IM SORRY IS 1998 FORD F 150 WITH A 4.2L ENGINE CODE P0155 MALFUNCION BANK 2 SENSOR 1 I HAVE REMPLECE IT 2 TIMES WITH NO RESULTS AND ALSO I HAVE TEST THE WIRES WITH NO RESULTS I HAVE CHECK AT THE PLUG FOR GROUND, 12V FOR HEATER OF THE O2 AND VOLTAGE FOR THE SIGNAL AND IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY THING ITS OKAY!! PLESE HELP!!

HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR (HO2S) MONITOR - HO2S SIGNAL CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Diagnostic Trouble CodeDescriptionPossible Causes
P0155 -HO2S Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-21)During testing, the HO2S heaters are checked for opens/shorts and excessive current draw. The code will set when current draw exceeds a maximum calibrated limit or falls below a minimum calibrated limit and/or an open or short is detected.·Blown fuse
·Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
·Water in harness connector
·Open VPWR or GND circuit
·Low battery voltage
·Poor electrical connections from PCM to HO2S sensor
·HO2S heater
·PCM

heres the wiring diagram for the circuit.

graphic

HERE'S THE COMPLETE PIN POINT TEST FOR CODE P0155

H30 DTCS P0135, P0141 and P0155 AND P0161: HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT IS OPEN, SHORTED TO GROUND, SHORTED TO VPWR OR EXCESSIVE CURRENT DRAW

• DTC P0135 = HO2S HTR-11
    • DTC P0141 = HO2S HTR-12
    • DTC P0155 = HO2S HTR-21
    • DTC P0161 = HO2S HTR-22
    • Shorts to VPWR in harness or HO2S.
    • Water in connectors.
    • Cut or pulled wires.
    • Disconnected wiring.
    • Open VPWR circuit.
    • Open GND circuit.
    • Low battery voltage.
    • Corrosion or poor mating terminals.
    • Damaged HO2S heater.
    • Damaged PCM.
  • Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0135 P0141, P0155 and P0161 indicate a short to ground, open, or short to VPWR in the HO2S heater circuit.

DTC/HO2S Reference List:

Possible causes:

Note: On some applications, a vehicle hoist is required to access the HO2S harness.

• Visually inspect the HO2S circuit for exposed wiring, contamination, corrosion and proper assembly.

Were any concerns found during the visual inspection?

Yes No
REPAIR any concerns found in the visual inspection. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick Test. GO to H31 .

H31 PERFORM KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) SELF-TEST

• Scan Tool connected.
  • Key on.
  • Run engine at 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
  • Key off.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Perform KOEO Self-Test.
  • Key off.
Are DTCs P0135, P0141, P0155 or P0161 present?
Yes No
GO to H32 .

No DTCs present. Fault may be intermittent. GO to Pinpoint Test Step Z1 with the following data: HO2S PIDs and a list of Possible causes.

H32 CHECK VPWR VOLTAGE TO H02S HARNESS CONNECTOR

Note: If DTCs P0135 and P0155 or P0141 and P0161 are displayed, both heater circuits will require testing. DTCs displayed separately are tested individually.

• Disconnect the appropriate HO2S(s).
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between VPWR circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the HO2S harness connector(s) (refer to schematic at the beginning of this Pinpoint Test).

Is the voltage greater than 10.5 volts?

Yes No
GO to H34 . GO to H33 .

H33 CHECK VPWR CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • Install breakout box. Leave PCM disconnected.
  • Measure resistance of the VPWR circuit between PCM test pin 71 and VPWR circuit at the HO2S harness connector.

Is the resistance less than 4.0 ohms?

Yes No
GO to H34 . CHECK fuse in circuit. If fuse is OK, REPAIR open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick TeSt.

H34 CHECK HO2S HEATER RESISTANCE

• Measure the resistance of the HO2S heater (refer to schematic at the beginning of this Pinpoint Test).

Is the resistance between 3 and 30 ohms?

Yes No
GO to H35 . REPLACE HO2S. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick Test.

H35 CHECK HO2S CASE FOR SHORT TO VPWR AND HEATER GND

• Measure resistance between HO2S Heater GND at HO2S connector and the HO2S case.
  • Measure resistance between the HO2S Heater GND and the SIG RTN Pin at the HO2S sensor.
  • Measure the resistance between the HO2S VPWR at the HO2S connector and the HO2S case.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes No
GO to H36 . REPLACE HO2S. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick Test.

H36 CHECK HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO VPWR AND GND

• Disconnect Scan Tool from DLC.
  • Breakout box installed, leave PCM disconnected.
  • Refer to the HO2S Connector Pin Number Charts in the beginning of this section for Heater Ground Pin Numbers.
  • Use the following list to measure the resistance between the appropriate test pins at the breakout box:
    • DTC P0135 = HO2S HTR-11 (HTR GND)
    • PCM Heater Ground Pin and PCM Test Pins 24, 103, 91 and 71.
    • DTC P0141 = HO2S HTR-12 (HTR GND)
    • DTC P0155 = HO2S HTR-21 (HTR GND)
    • DTC P0161 = HO2S HTR-22 (HTR GND)

Yes No
GO to H37 . REPAIR shorted circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick Test.

H37 CHECK HO2S HEATER GROUND FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Use the following list to measure resistance between the appropriate PCM test pins at the breakout box and the HO2S HTR GND at the vehicle harness connector:
    • HO2S HTR-11=PCM Heater Ground Pin (HTR GND)
    • HO2S HTR-12=PCM Heater Ground Pin (HTR GND)
    • HO2S HTR-21=PCM Heater Ground Pin (HTR GND)
    • HO2S HTR-22=PCM Heater Ground Pin (HTR GND)

Is the resistance less than 4.0 ohms?

Yes No
Open or shorted or excessive resistance in the heater circuit in the PCM. REPLACE PCM. RESTORE vehicle. RERUN Quick Test. REPAIR open or excessive resistance in the heater circuit in harness. RESTORE vehicle RERUN Quick Test.

I hope this helps you out

mike

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE ME SOMETIME TO DO HOW LONG DO I HAVE FOR ME TO ASK ANOTHE QUESTIN IF ALL OF THIS FAIL IN WICH I DONT THINK IT WOULD?! THANK YOU MUCH!!!

just reply back later, this week and tell me how it goes.

thanks

mike

mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician

THANK YOU MUCH IM SORRY I THOUGHT THAT I HAVE ALLREADY PRESS ACCEPT!! BUT NOW I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION NOW IM GETTING CODE

P3158 BANK 2 INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER STOCK OPEN I GO TO THE BOOK THE BOOK DONT EVEN LIST THE CODE WHAT SHOUD I DO??

mustangmike
mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician