Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus, I replaced the camshaft synchronizer

Customer Question
after trying to locate TDC...
I have a 2003 Ford Taurus, I replaced the camshaft synchronizer after trying to locate TDC. Now the car "putts" and "sputters" when idling. Should I remove the camshaft synchronizer and try to locate TDC again or will this damage my engine?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
12/6/2008
Ford Mechanic: Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 9 years ago
Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician

If you go ahead and locate TDC there is not any chance of engine damage.

However, getting the Syncro lined up correctly is nearly impossible without the correct tools.

On that engine, the tool is called the Synchronizer Alignment Gauge
and the part number is XXXXX

graphic

That sensor (the cam shaft position sensor, also called the cylinder identification sensor) sets the timing for the fuel injectors and haveing it out of time will not cause any engine damage. It will cause what you have felt, sputtering and lack of power.

Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Vincent
Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician