Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 ford explorer disable or bipass theft control

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2008
Ford Mechanic: Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 9 years ago
Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician

First off, the anti theft system (if we are talking about the PATS Passive AntiTheft System) in that vehicle cannot be bypassed. It is part of the PowerTrain Control Module and PATS module and cannot be unprogrammed or removed without making the vehicle inoperable.

But with your concern, lets take a look at a couple of things.

One, the PATS disables the ignition circuit, therefore, if the PATS was a problem, it would not run on starting fluid.

The inertia switch is on the power side of the circuit, however it will only have power for a few seconds (about 5) when the key is cycled on. This is normally a 2 person test, one to check for power to and through the inertia switch and one to handle the ignition switch.

If you do not have power to the inertia switch, then you probably have a bad relay. However, it will not stop there. The main reason that the relay fails is due to excessive current flow and arcing of the relay contacts. This is normally caused by a failing Fuel Pump.

But, having said all that, chances are you will find that you are getting power to the inertia switch and the fuel pump is just plain not working. This is pretty common on vehicles that are over 8 years of age.

Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician

I HAVE ALL READY CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP AND FUEL PUMP RELAY WILL THE MASS AIR FLOW CAUSE NO PULSE AND WHERE IS THE VIP CONNECTOR TO CHECK FUEL PUMP POWER AND IF I CHANGE THE COMPUTOR WILL IT HAVE TO BE FLASHED

In order:

No, the MAF can be completely unplugged and the engine will still run.

On OBD2 (everything built after 1995) vehicles, there is no connector to test jump the fuel pump.

If you replace the PCM, the data will hae to be removed from the old computer and installed into the new one. This can only be done with the proper computers (read Ford Dagnostic Computers).

Did you check for power at the inertia switch the way that I asked? And what are the results?

YES I CHECKEDTHE INERSHA SWITCH IT FLASHED WITH THE KEY ON FOR A SECOND

Okay, that means that the fuel pump is getting power.

Next question: is the theft light flashing fast on the dash when you are trying to start the truck?

YES

Okay, there is the problem. You have either a bad key, an unprogrammed key, only one key is programmed into the system (the PATS needs to have 2 keys programmed in before it will enable the PCM) or a bad transponder.

If the keys are original then I would be leaning on the transponder. This is the sensor ring mounted on the steering column around the ignition lock cylinder. This part has a problem with the wires breaking due to the column tilting.

Tell me about the keys that you have and lets try to isolate the problem.

THE KEYS ARE ORIGANAL THE LARGER ONE HAS A SPLIT AROUND THE BLACK CASING TRIED BOTH KEYS FROM THE BEGINING IF TRANSPONDER IS THE PROBLEM WILL I BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE UNIT WITHOUT PROGRAMING SAME WITH KEYS OR JUST THE VIN # XXXXX HAVE MY ATTENTION I AM IN AHHHHHHHH

As long as the keys have not lost their programming (rare) then the transponder can be replaced without having to program the keys again. The transponder is pretty easy to change out as well. You will have to remove the lower dash cover and brace and the steering column shroud, as well as the ignition lock cylinder. The transponder is held in place with a single screw and the wires are clipped in place.

Quick test: tilt the steering column and retest the truck. I have seen this allow the PATS to enable and let the engine run.

VINCENT I AM SO LUCKY TO HAVE LOCATED A TECH LIKE YOU THANK YOU FOR SOLVING MY ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE THE TRANSPODER FOR THE KEYLESS REMOTE WAS THE PROBLEM YOU DIRECTED ME TO THE PROBLEM WITH EASE YOU ARE NUMBER ONE IN MY BOOK AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A SCANNER THAT WORKED THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH VINCENT

You are quite welcome. Glad that I was able to help out a little.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Vincent
Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician