Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

98 mercury sable: daylight..headlight switch and relays and lights

I have a 98 Murcury...
I have a 98 Murcury Sable without daylight system and the headlights won,t shut off. I have removed the headlight switch and relays and lights are still on.
10/29/2008
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Customer

You say the car not is equipped with daylight system. Do you mean it is not equipped with daytime running lights? Does it have autolamps? This information will help me diagnose it. Are they on dim or bright? Can you change them by dimming or putting on brights with the switch?

Thanks,

Tim

It does not have autolamps or daytime running lights...
Customer

Are the lights on bright or dim? Is the high beam indicator on in the dash? Can you change the brightness with the dimmer switch?

Tim

When I turn light switch on The headlights come on a littel brighter and then all other lights work fine Hi beam works . Could it be a bad ground or short in ing. switch?
The problem I have is that I can completely remove the headlight switch and headlight relay and when I hook up the battery the headlights ONLY come on. all other lights work ok...
Customer

I understand that, I am wanting to know if the lights are dim or bright and if changing the dimmer switch matters. That will help me determine where the short is coming from. Then we will start checking circuits once we get a better idea where to start. I completely understand the lights will not go out.

Tim

Tim
Tim, Ford Technician

Hi and low beams work fine from switch.

Customer

Let's start by removing fuse 30 from the fuse panel in the interior of the car. let me know if the lights go out with this fuse removed.

Tim

graphic

Pulled fues and headlights still on...
Customer

Ok, how about fuse 22 in the battery junction box under the hood? Does that make a difference?

Tim

graphic

I have pulled all fuses and relays and lights still on, I am still thinking it might be Ing. Switch down on sreering collum
Customer

The ignition switch cannot cause this if there is no daytime running lights or autolamps. It cannot be a multifunction switch either if you hav pulled all fuses and the lights remain on. In the location marked by the arrow in the attached picture there should be a jumper across a connector, unplug this and see if the lights go out. There are two wires in the connector, purple with light blue and gray with white tracer.

Thanks,

Tim

graphic

I don't seem to be able to find this conection. I do see that the color coaded wires you takked about but they go directly to headlight then into the harness that goes into fender well
Customer

I believe it is behind the fender accessed from underneath. you will have to lower the panel that covers the front portion of the under body ( from the front bumper back under the radiator. Once you drop the panel it is mounted to a brace right beside the horns. This is where the daytime running lamp module would be if it had one, otherwise there is a jumper there.

graphic

Tim,

I will need to get the car to the shop later tonight so I can get it up on the lift. When I find connector and unplug it and the lights go out, what do I check?, or if they stay on what do I check.

Tim, I want to thank you for walking me through this, as I know it's being a pain in the butt.

Ed

Customer

If you get to it and there is a module for some strange reason, I am hoping that is the problem. If there is just a jumper and they do go out, then we are going to work our way back upline. If we unplug it and they do not go out, we will go back the other direction. I am hoping we find something here.

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks, Tim

I will get back at you later.

Ed

Customer

Sounds good.

Tim

Tim,

SOB, how did you know there would be a module there. It has 8 pins and lights now out... Does this mean it has daylight running lights?

Customer

Yes that is the DRL module. The module is most likely faulty. You should be able to unplug it and the lights should work fine. I hope this helps, if so please ACCEPT this answer. If you need further assistance, just respond back and I will help you.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim
Tim, Ford Technician

Tim,

Positive feedback left, you da man. All kidding aside, I want to thank you for your time with me and getting the wife's car fixed.

Thanks Again,

Ed Smith

Southern Oregon Sportbikes

Ed,

You are very welcome. I am glad to help.

Thank You!
Tim
Tim
Tim, Ford Technician